Launching Log4OM from Python

Here we will provide support for developers working on integration
AA6E
Novice Class

Launching Log4OM from Python

Post by AA6E »

I am trying to launch Log4OM from a Python CGI script. (It is supposed to configure my software operating environment.) The problem is that Log4OM needs Administrator privileges (*) and this seems to be hard to organize in Python (or other scripts?) The subprocess module quits with error "The requested operation requires elevation."

What I want is an operation similar to what a normal user gets when he/she clicks on the desktop shortcut -- a UAC permission dialog. This seems to be hard to accomplish from my program. Does someone here have a suggestion?

I have seen some suggestions using PowerShell, which I have little appetite for. (I'm happier with Linux and Python.) I find that I can use a start command in a BAT file, which is a simple but not very elegant answer. Thanks for any further leads!

73 Martin AA6E

* I have to wonder why Log4OM really can't run as a normal user, at least for a major functional subset...
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Launching Log4OM from Python

Post by IW3HMH »

It requires "admin" privileges because no software is allowed to open ports on your PC.
Log4OM open a TCP port on the client, when works with communicator (fldigi and other integrations)
Working without communicator will not requires admin privileges
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
AA6E
Novice Class

Post by AA6E »

Interesting! But I have many Windows apps that open ports - browsers and other network clients... It must be possible to "bless" your app with this ability somehow.

73 Martin AA6E
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Yes, if i buy a software developer certificate (250 up to 1000 euro/year) i can compile Log4Om as "trusted" for Windows.
Another option is to create a "self signed" certificate but you need to manually add this certificate to the trusted list, that is simple but not "for dummies".
Maybe there are other solutions but i'm unable to find any yet
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
AA6E
Novice Class

Post by AA6E »

Aha. I note that I am running Python apps under Windows that seem to have full functionality for network & process creation without payments. Probably other scripting/programming environments would work, too. (Like cygwin) Getting it all packaged "for dummies" may be the problem.

And with the forthcoming bash shell on Win10, some things may get easier -- for us Linux guys, at least.

My kludge of launching Log4OM from a BAT file is working. I don't understand what's special about a batch command environment compared to launching from Python, but such is life.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Martin