Checklog...??

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
IZ4JUK
Novice Class

Checklog...??

Post by IZ4JUK »

Dear All,
that's my first message, so hi everybody!
I use Log4OM since one year and a half with great satisfaction.
Of course during contests I use another software, but for the everyday-use of my RTX, LOG4OM is my main logging program.
But I miss a function which is absolutely very useful.
A function that helps to identify the right callsign thanks to an internal database of callsigns.
The "CHECKLOG" function.
That's a very simple tool which suggests you a calsign while you digit the first letter of the call.
More letters we write and more precise are the suggestions.
That's a very useful function which helps you when a station is not 100% readble or when you miss one letter of the callsign.

Is there any chance to have this function ON in the current version of LOG4OM?
Or is there any plan to add this tool in the next version of LOG4OM?
Thanks in advance for your help
Joe
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Checklog...??

Post by G4POP »

Firstly Joe welcome to our forum

We prefer you use a call sign instead of an anonymous name so that we can identify where you are located and therefore provide more appropriate advise based on your QTH, however if you must be anonymous then we wont force you to be otherwise!

You said:
But I miss a function which is absolutely very useful.
Please identify which ham radio program has this feature that you have used and now miss because its not in Log4OM?

You also said:
A function that helps to identify the right callsign thanks to an internal database of callsigns.
The "CHECKLOG" function.
Are you referring to a database of every call sign in the world (This would be enormous) or just a database of a particular club or association, or perhaps your own logbook database?

'CHECKLOG' infers that it is checking your logbook database but you are not clear on this!

Log4OM already checks your logbook progressively as you enter each letter of a call sign and provides a filtered list (As shown below)but I guess this is not what you want?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (119.36 KiB) Viewed 7636 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (71.84 KiB) Viewed 7636 times
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (48.13 KiB) Viewed 7636 times
73 Terry G4POP
IZ4JUK
Novice Class

Post by IZ4JUK »

Hi Terry,
thanks for your quick reply.
yes, I noted too late that everybody signed up using their callsign. Now seems to late for me to change it.
I could delete this account and open a new one using my callsign?

Concerning the "checklog" function, I think it works as you describe, with a database of all the world callsigns. Not all of them, but usually the callsign used in the previous contests. In fact it doesn't recognize all the callsigns, but the 90% of the callsigns used in a contest (whcih are probably the callsigns used in the previous contests).
The callsigns using in the contests are much less compared teh the whole number of world collsigns.

This function is used by the major contest logging software as N1MM, QARTEST, WinTest...
Look at the following picture, in the two windows below the suggestion will appear:

In the first 5 seconds of this video you'll perfectly see how this works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtaNU_A5rd4

Joe IZ4JUK
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

buzzaboy wrote:Hi Terry,
thanks for your quick reply.
yes, I noted too late that everybody signed up using their callsign. Now seems to late for me to change it.
I could delete this account and open a new one using my callsign?

Concerning the "checklog" function, I think it works as you describe, with a database of all the world callsigns. Not all of them, but usually the callsign used in the previous contests. In fact it doesn't recognize all the callsigns, but the 90% of the callsigns used in a contest (whcih are probably the callsigns used in the previous contests).
The callsigns using in the contests are much less compared teh the whole number of world collsigns.

This function is used by the major contest logging software as N1MM, QARTEST, WinTest...
Look at the following picture, in the two windows below the suggestion will appear:

In the first 5 seconds of this video you'll perfectly see how this works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtaNU_A5rd4

Joe IZ4JUK
Joe,
Firstly I can change your user name to your call sign, if you want me to?

Secondly, it seems that this is confined to contest competitor call signs using some sort of central database probably maintained by the contest software developer(s) which of course we don't have access to so I don't think that it will be possible to provide this facility.

Also there are many, many thousands of hams that don't enter contest so although this facility will provide a 90% accuracy in a contest logging program situation, the accuracy would fall dramatically for a general logging program like Log4OM unless a world wide call sign database was available.

If we were able to obtain an international database of call signs (Most unlikely) can you imaging how long the lookup would take on a letter by letter basis, unlike QRZ and other on line call databases which lookup the complete call sign string for an exact match doing it each time a letter was entered would be ponderously slow and therefore unacceptable.

So the bottom line is that we cannot provide this facility on a global call sign basis or a restricted contest competitor related system.
73 Terry G4POP
IZ4JUK
Novice Class

Post by IZ4JUK »

Hi Terry
Yes please change my username with my callsign.
Ok, no problem.
Iz4juk
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

IZ4JUK wrote:Hi Terry
Yes please change my username with my callsign.
Ok, no problem.
Iz4juk
OK Joe all changed just remember to use your call as your user name when logging into this forum, your password has no changed
73 Terry G4POP
IZ4JUK
Novice Class

Post by IZ4JUK »

Thanks
IZ4JUK
Novice Class

Post by IZ4JUK »

Another question :)

As far as you know, can I see the spot of the cluster spread on the frequency portion?
Like on the right side of the following picture:

G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Either use the Log4OM 'Cluster Scanner (F10)' or Bandmaster from DXAtlas which providing you are using Omnirig with Log4OM will integrate fine.

see http://www.dxatlas.com/bandmaster/

The screenshot below shows both our cluster scanner and bandmaster
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (252.5 KiB) Viewed 7625 times
73 Terry G4POP
IZ4JUK
Novice Class

Post by IZ4JUK »

Great! I'll check. Thanks.
Log4om is definitely the best login program I ever tested.
Thanks 4 your support
Iz4juk