Locator data missing

Yes, this is the RTFM place, at your service
g3ziy
Advanced Class

Locator data missing

Post by g3ziy »

Hi, As you can see from the attached image, I am getting the wrong data displayed in the right-hand (yellow) panel. Using the example in the manual, which is obviously from a different version of Log4OM, the data is completely wrong on my display. It doesn't seem to matter which callsign I use, the locator, bearing and distance seems to only show generic values for the country the callsign is from. So is there a setting I have not got correct?

73, Richard, G3ZIY.
Attachments
Log4OM screen.jpg
Log4OM screen.jpg (153.72 KiB) Viewed 11703 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Locator data missing

Post by G4POP »

Richard,
Let me explain how this works!

When you enter a call sign either by manually typing it in or by clicking on a cluster spot Log4OM does the following:

1. Using the call prefix it derives the locator relevant to the centre of that country for use in the right hand small cluster window to set a general direction for a beam heading and the short and long path distance. This is for a preliminary heading in case correct information is not found in 2 and 3 below.

2. Next Log4OM checks the call against our own special call list and the Clublog exceptions file & IOTA and SOTA databases, to see if this is perhaps a special call for a DXpedition and completes most of the detail required for the QSO.

3. If no information is found in step 2 above or if that information is incomplete it then checks with whichever on line look up service you use and completes the data input using the supplied information and completes the form.

In step 3 the locator is taken from either QRZ, HamQTH or QRZCQ, if no locator has been registered with these on line sources the locator field is left empty for the user to insert a locator that perhaps the other station provides on air.

Alternatively if no on line lookup has been chosen in the Log4OM options/settings1 tab the locator field is also left empty for the user to insert a locator that perhaps the other station provides on air.

I show below a screen shot of the same call sign that you used for the example and you will see that the correct locator has been added to the F1 window and the small cluster window locator has been updated also. (GG87ik)
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (144.99 KiB) Viewed 11694 times
In this case the locator was received from QRZ because I am a paid XML subscriber to QRZ whereas a 'Ham member' is not provided with the full data from QRZ and that I notice is what you are.

This is an extract of the Log4OM log file showing the call lookup, if it had failed it would have shown an error.

2017-01-04 13:30:16.1392 INFO: QrzComManagement: Begin search for PY1MK
2017-01-04 13:30:16.4042 INFO: QrzComManagement: search completed
2017-01-04 13:30:16.4092 INFO: Log4OMMainWindow: Updating QSO after QTH Lookup

So you are not receiving the information either because you have not set any on line lookups from 'External sources' in the Log4OM Options/Settings 1 tab or because you have set it to QRZ which because you are not a paid subscriber will not provide you with the data.

Your options are:

1. Take out a paid XML subscription to QRZ.
2. Register with either of the free data sources HamQTH or QRZCQ and use them instead.

I have just checked and both HamQTH and QRZCQ return the correct locator for this call also.

Hope this helps

HNY
73 Terry G4POP
g3ziy
Advanced Class

Post by g3ziy »

Thanks Terry - I understand even better how Log4OM works now! I think it would be useful to mention the fact that a paid subscription to QRZ.com or a free one to HamQTH or QRZCQ is required for this feature when the handbook is next updated.

73 & HNY,

Richard, G3ZIY.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

RichardCSD wrote:Thanks Terry - I understand even better how Log4OM works now! I think it would be useful to mention the fact that a paid subscription to QRZ.com or a free one to HamQTH or QRZCQ is required for this feature when the handbook is next updated.

73 & HNY,

Richard, G3ZIY.
'Getting Started' Page 12 of the user guide in red type Richard
73 Terry G4POP