Flex Radio Compatibility

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Flex Radio Compatibility

Post by WA2SQQ »

Terry / Developer Team
I’m a Flex Radio user, one of many that experiences problems every time Microsoft updates Windows 10. Now that version 2 of LOG4OM is under development, I know that there has been some requests for establishing IP connectivity between LOG4OM and Flex radios.
Flex’s Customer Experience Manager, Tim W4TME posted the comments below on what ”breaks” when Windows 10 is updated. If you have any interest I’d be happy to introduce you to Tim. Flex has been very responsive to software developers.

W4TME - “Based on our support data, what breaks are the kernel mode drivers that emulate hardware (UARTS and sound cards), not the CAT and DAX applications themselves.

And RigCAT has no kernel mode drivers, so it is not a fair comparison. It just opens a com port (UART), be it physical or virtual.

The ideal thing would be for third-party app developers to start transitioning from serial ports and start using TCP/IP as the inter-app communication protocol. For audio, dump the klutzy Windows sound card interface and stream the audio via a UDP port for low-latency audio processing. This would be a transitional change as you would have to support the legacy way of interfacing apps to the radio along with offering the new network based communication methods.

We have asked several of these app developers to consider this proposal and offered technical assistance in making the transition. To date, unfortunately, we have not seen any significant progress, but we still hold out hope.”
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Flex Radio Compatibility

Post by IW3HMH »

Working with Flex is something planned for V2.
When we are near to work with CAT control we will ask users for support and test, because i don't have a Flex radio so i can only develop based on documentation without possibility to make tests.

Flex rigs are IP connected, so maybe i can reach a device published on the internet somewhere in the world... but this is something for later :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G1XOW
New user

Post by G1XOW »

[quote="IW3HMH"]Working with Flex is something planned for V2.
When we are near to work with CAT control we will ask users for support and test, because i don't have a Flex radio so i can only develop based on documentation without possibility to make tests.

I am also a Flex 6k user so would be very happy to beta test any IP interface. The current CAT interface via virtual serial ports is not good.

73 de Steve G1XOW
NB8F
Novice Class

Post by NB8F »

Same here. Own a Flex 6300.

Also they have an open lib for connecting to the Flex for Windows and Mac. It is pretty easy to get the cat interface connected and get frequency data in general. It's just a departure from the other ways used now with com ports.
wo2x
Novice Class

Post by wo2x »

Bob,

The latest SmartSDR (1.10.8 public beta) has an updated FlexVSP driver that is Windows 10 friendly. I've loaded two Windows 10 Fast Ring beta upgrades that have not messed up the SmartSDR CAT ports. Suggest you document and delete the CAT ports, then uninstall SmartSDR and FlexVSP, reboot, and install latest SmartSDR. (p.s. - I know you got the new Intel NUC and installed clean now).

The issue some people have is old FlexVSP info in the registry that causes enumeration issues upon an OS upgrade. It requires a deep cleaning of registry entries to fix. The good news is the new driver shouldn't have this issue moving forward.

If you have issues, give me a phone call.

If any of the users here are having SmartSDR CAT issues contact me offline and I will try to assist (I'm a Flex alpha tester)

Dave wo2x
wo2x
Novice Class

Post by wo2x »

Please keep me in mind for joining your test team for Flex integration as I am a Flex alpha tester also.

Dave wo2x
IW3HMH wrote:Working with Flex is something planned for V2.

Flex rigs are IP connected, so maybe i can reach a device published on the internet somewhere in the world... but this is something for later :)
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
F5VAI
Novice Class

Post by F5VAI »

Danielle I am also a Flex 6300 user and would be only to pleased to help. Would also like to see connection to DX Atlas.

Thanks for all your hard work, it is much appreciated.

Andy F5VAI