Auto fill of Azimuth

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Auto fill of Azimuth

Post by K4SHQ »

I would like to see the Antenna Azimuth field auto filled. I run WSJT-X & JTAlert-X and I believe that information is available via ADIF. I understand some users would prefer no auto fill of this field. But could we get a settings option to either auto fill or not?
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Auto fill of Azimuth

Post by G4POP »

Depends if the azimuth information is exported by the JT65 programs and pushed into the Log4OM SQLite database by JTAlert.

I don't use JT modes so cant check what information those programs provide unless someone sends me the exported data
73 Terry G4POP
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

The best I can tell, azimuth is not supplied from either WSJT-X or JTAlert-X. It is however provided when I get a lookup on QRZ. I am not sure what you supply to QRZ for a lookup, nor do I know what they send back..
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

I looked up the QRZ query requirements and response fields. Azimuth is not obtainable from that source.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Dan,

A work around is to open QSO Manager/Archive, select the JT65 qso's you would like to update by setting a filter - Mode=JT65. Then select all or part of the results, then click on Field Update in the top set of options. In the resulting dialog box, in the lower portion, check the "Update qso distance/bearing" checkbox. Then click Execute checks. You should then have good Antenna Azimuth calculated based on the gird of the contact and your gird.

I hope this helps.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

Thanks Doug. That's how I mass updated all of my imported QSO's. It's easy enough to fill in by hand as the QSO's are logged, but it would be even easier if it was automatic.
Thanks again.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Dan,

Because JTAlert writes the QSO to the Log4OM database file directly, It might not be that easy for Log4OM to do any post addition processing. What would trigger Log4OM to take action? It would be much easier to calculate that info in JTAlert prior to the log addition. Have you talked to the JTAlert author about this?

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

I have not, but I will. I had just gotten used to my last ham log doing it for me.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

Problem solved. Thanks.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team