A few suggestions.

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
G7WIR
New user

A few suggestions.

Post by G7WIR »

I am new to this program and so far I am very impressed.

I guess I am comparing it a little to the previous program I was using but there are a few little things that are frustrating.

Would it be possible to make Log4OM enter all log entry fields from a previous entry with the same callsign. It appears to grab the name and possibly the location but the locator and other fields are not filled in. If you have already worked the station before, then it would be useful if it grabbed all info and re entered it for you.

Also in regards to the locator. I read somewhere that the norm is JO01bj where the last two letters are lower case. My current install is showing the whole locator as upper case like JO01BJ which conflicts when uploaded to some other online logbooks.

One final thing. Is it possible to place the QTH field and possibly the Country and State field in the main QSO info area. This information is the first thing you would enter before going to the other fields. Having them in F5 under extended info is a bit awkward.

73 de Martin G7WIR
73 de Martin G7WIR.
M0RSF
Novice Class

Re: A few suggestions.

Post by M0RSF »

Log4OM is 99% perfect though I have raised the locator square thing before. I believe it's seen as an aesthetic problem rather than a bug. It was fixed in an earlier version and locator squares showed correctly but then it reverted back to all capital letters in later versions.
Even fldigi displays locator squares correctly when it uses qrz lookups. Perhaps it's on the list for Log4OM version 2?

73 Chris M0RSF
G/QRP #07737 - Fists #15922
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G7WIR wrote: 07 May 2017, 22:29
Would it be possible to make Log4OM enter all log entry fields from a previous entry with the same callsign. It appears to grab the name and possibly the location but the locator and other fields are not filled in. If you have already worked the station before, then it would be useful if it grabbed all info and re entered it for you.
This has been discussed many times with our users and it was decided by the majority that completing all of the past QSO information was not desirable because many details like QTH, Rig etc often change. Better to use a good on line lookup system to fill the other data with current information.
One final thing. Is it possible to place the QTH field and possibly the Country and State field in the main QSO info area. This information is the first thing you would enter before going to the other fields.
If your on line lookup system is OK these fields are auto filled so no user intervention is required - That said things may be different in version two.

These type of changes to the software will not be done to V 1.0 because it is only on 'Maintenance' until V 2.0 is released
73 Terry G4POP
G7WIR
New user

Post by G7WIR »

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose certain things are always going to be more important to some than to others. It's a very well written bit of software and it's growing on me. It's difficult to forget what the last logbook program did when you've used it for so long. Once I get used to Log4OM, I am sure I'll end up converting for good. I need to use it in anger really as I've not done too much radio lately so it's only been used for the odd QSO here and there.
73 de Martin G7WIR.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

M0RSF wrote: 08 May 2017, 07:35 Perhaps it's on the list for Log4OM version 2?
73 Chris M0RSF
It's already done in V2.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH