Zones, both ITU and CQ

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
g4pdf
Novice Class

Zones, both ITU and CQ

Post by g4pdf »

I'm a user of the European PSK Community and their award checking programme Ultimate ACC (.exe).
As part of the checking process of the software a list of possible logging errors relating to ITU and CQ zones is produced. (This is very helpful for identifying errors in zone allocations to MGR locations, and it is rarely wrong!)

My question of Log4OM is, having already corrected >650 QSO line entries that have incorrect zone information (one at a time) is it at all possible to stop (inhibit?) Log4OM from reverting the zone information to that originally allocated? For this is surely what is happening and it is going to be an issue (along with the inablility to assign IARU call prefixes correctly) that will stop me using Log4OM. That would be a sad departure for me as there is much that I like about Log4OM esp. the customisable award tracker, that I use extensively.
Regards, Bob - G4PDF
73, de Bob G4PDF
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Zones, both ITU and CQ

Post by G4POP »

Where did the QSO's originally get logged? their origin?

1. In another program and then imported into Log4OM as an ADIF file

2. Input to Log4OM at the time the QSO took place (Live logging)

3. Manual input of a paper logbook.

4. Logged in real time direct to Log4OM from an external program like FLDgi or WSJT-X etc

5. Other?
73 Terry G4POP
g4pdf
Novice Class

Post by g4pdf »

Hi Terry,

I think the source of the log entry will be either 4, 2 or 1 in that order. I do a lot of JT exchanges on HF/6m.

Bob.
73, de Bob G4PDF
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

g4pdf wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 07:45 Hi Terry,

I think the source of the log entry will be either 4, 2 or 1 in that order. I do a lot of JT exchanges on HF/6m.

Bob.
It is very strange that you have so many incorrect zones that you have had to amend from your log, especially as this is something that not one of our users has ever reported in all the time Log4OM has existed.

Yes there have been the occasional anomalies where perhaps there are multiple zones for a large continent like the USA or Australia, but nothing like your experiencing!

Here is what happens when a call sign is entered in the input field.

1. Initially the zones are derived from our own country file which is compiled and regularly updated by our own team member Chuck K7PT and this same information is distributed to some on line lookup systems so you will guess its extremely accurate.

2. If you are using an on line lookup in Log4OM like QRZ or HamQTH then any zone information supplied by the lookup replaces that derived from our country file - This is why you sometimes see a zone or locator change during lookup, its because its being updated from the on line lookup source which is supposedly supplied by the call sign owner!

3. If you then manually change any information like amending the country and therefore changing the zones then that new information replaces that already entered into the fields.

4.Once you save the QSO the information is not changed unless you manually edit the record.

I suspect that either the imported QSO's from another program and/or the JT65 data being sent to Log4OM is at fault and is supplying incorrect information.

Perhaps you could check the zone information and report the results to me by doing the following.

1. Have a few SSB and CW contacts using direct logging into Log4OM with your normal on line lookups enabled. - Mark them so in the comments field so they can be identified after logging

2. Have a few JT65 QSO's using the method of transfer of the QSO to Log4OM that you normally employ - Again mark them so in the comments field so they can be identified after logging.

3. Now check if those QSO's have the correct zone information recorded and if not send an ADIF file of your logbook to me by email.
73 Terry G4POP
g4pdf
Novice Class

Post by g4pdf »

Having worked through and corrected many log records with ITU and CQ zone errors, I now know that a staggering number of QRZ record owners do not record their ITU and CQ zones correctly [think difference between a*se and elbow]. There is also a good number of subscribers who do not know the difference between ITU Zone and IARU Region - there are 70 of the former but only three of the latter and that is never required.
Oh yes, there is no point in letting QRZ.com know of any erronious information, checking/validation is left to the record owner.

Unless I see my log records being updated by incorrect QRZ.com information going unchecked, my reported problem can be considered to be 'solved'.
Last edited by g4pdf on 12 Sep 2017, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
73, de Bob G4PDF
M0RSF
Novice Class

Post by M0RSF »

As already discovered there are a number of stations that have their CQ and/or ITU zones wrong on qrz.com

Also Bob, the zones you have corrected are for data modes QSO's, perhaps you have quite a few that you have worked on SSB that are wrong too. I did and it took me a while to get my log up to date and all correct.

For future use this link is useful to check any contacts that you make whether data or SSB. Just type in the locator square to check the CQ and ITU zones are correct.

http://epc-mc.eu/zones.php

73 Chris M0RSF
G/QRP #07737 - Fists #15922
g4pdf
Novice Class

Post by g4pdf »

M0RSF wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 12:20 For future use this link is useful to check any contacts that you make whether data or SSB. Just type in the locator square to check the CQ and ITU zones are correct.

http://epc-mc.eu/zones.php

73 Chris M0RSF
Thanks for the reminder Chris.
73, de Bob G4PDF