Loss of all settings

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
ZS6AI
Novice Class

Loss of all settings

Post by ZS6AI »

I have installed Log4OM and it all works okay for a couple of days.
But sometimes I switch on the computer, (like now) and load Log4OM and I find all my setting are lost and I have to start a new configuration again, very frustrating! I am running Windows XP and Log4OM as administrator.

Sorry if this has been addressed before; I did search the forum but can't find any help.

Any help would be appreciated.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Loss of all settings

Post by G4POP »

When this happens can you see a config.xml file in the C:\...............\AppData\Roaming\LogOM folder?

BTW we prefer that you use your call sign as a user name or at the very least sing your posts with your call sign so that we have some idea of where you are located in the universe and can therefore provide more accurate assistance based on your local requirements!
73 Terry G4POP
ZS6AI
Novice Class

Post by ZS6AI »

Yes there is a config.xml file.. it shows the date and time I switched off last night

Mike ZS6AI
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hello Mike,

in the same directory you will find a folder called "Backup". If you open this you may
find some ZIP or RAR files with the latest backups. If you are open the newest before
you change to a new config you will find all the needed files. Those you can copy and
paste it to the config folder and your original config will be back.

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
ZS6AI
Novice Class

Post by ZS6AI »

Hello Juergen,

I am unable to open the zipped back up files of last night. It says "The Compressed (Zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted"
Previous backups folders open okay and there are 3 config files in each folder.
I deleted the bad folder and renamed one of the previous good folder, but that didn't help :-(
I will now have to load all my data again

Mike ZS6AI
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

unless you changed the config file recently its doubtful it will be different to the old backup

Sounds like you might have a bad hard drive or some malware as this is not a usual occurrence
73 Terry G4POP
ZS6AI
Novice Class

Post by ZS6AI »

I switched on my PC this morning and all settings for Log4OM were lost again and the programme opened as a new configuration.
I went to last night’s backup Zip file and it was corrupt and wouldn’t open. This happened the previous time Log4OM lost all settings. All other Zip backup files were okay and opened fine, just last night’s backup.
I don’t know if this is a clue to my problem; anyway once I copied over the 3 files from a good Zip backup everything is back to normal and running okay again.

My PC is running Windows XP Home and is only used for my Ham station. I do not used the PC for Internet downloading or browsing, just my Ham programmes, Log4OM, WSJT-X, JTAlert etc.
I ran Malwarebyte on your suggestion last time and again today and no problems were found on the PC; I do regular HD clean ups and run disk defragmenter.
I’ve never had a problem with any other programme or my previous logbook programme, HRD, so I’m really at a lose.

73 Mike ZS6AI
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

If this happens again send us the log files in C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\LogOM\log by email

DO NOT POST THEM TO THIS FORUM
73 Terry G4POP
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

Hi Mike,

>>I do regular HD clean ups

What do you mean by this? Could you detail exactly what you do?

Please run chkdsk /r and see what the results are. It will take a long time to run. Not only does it do that a regular chkdsk /f does (fix errors), it checks all clusters for read errors and will take any data from bad clusters, move it to good clusters and mark the bad ones so that they are not used again. Defrags often, but not always, will not run if there are errors on a disk.

In the mean time, check the data zip files for being good before you switch off the PC, or just keep a known good set safe.

73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

I have just had this happen to me for the first time in using Log4OM for about 2-3 years!

I copied over config.xml from one of my daily backups and all was well.

The config.xml file that was present was 12Kb and the one that had all my settings was 23Kb.

As I do have daily backups, I am happy to test anything for the Log4OM team. It makes me uneasy that a loss of settings seems to be happening.

73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.