Synchronisisng multiple locations

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
yt9tp
Old Man

Synchronisisng multiple locations

Post by yt9tp »

I have home location and remote location I use for the same call sign. At home I use one PC, at remote location I use laptop.

What is proper way to set it so I can have logs synchronized? Is is enough to use the same settings for some external logging service?

What is the best way to mark QSO's so I can differentiate them by location?
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Synchronisisng multiple locations

Post by G4POP »

See the 'Miscelaneous' section of the user guide "Synchronising logbooks using Dropbox"
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

yt9tp wrote:What is the best way to mark QSO's so I can differentiate them by location?

Either use a different profile for each locatin or change your QRA locator ever time you are somewhere else - Again it's all detailed in the user guide
73 Terry G4POP
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

Terry, thanks for help.

I read manual but I guess I am too dumb to understand every bit of it.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

yt9tp wrote:Terry, thanks for help.

I read manual but I guess I am too dumb to understand every bit of it.
See 'Setting up multiple profiles' beginning on page 30 where it is possible to configure a profile for different stations so for instance you could have a profile for the following or anything you like....

1. Home station
2. Holliday home station
3. Field day station
4. Spacial event station

Each profile can have different details but can save to a common logbook

So in your case....

Have a profile set up for YT9TP at your home QTH with your home call YT9TP and your home address and locator of JN93wu

Have a second profile for YT9TP/A (Alternative) perhaps with a locator of JN94ff and the address of the other location

Use the appropriate profile according to where you are and your station details will be reflected in the saved QSO's enabling you to differentiate between the two operations.

Now you can see where you were by viewing and sorting by any of the "My......" ADIF fields like....

My grid square
My county
My city
My IOTA
My Post code (Zip code)
My State
My street
Etc etc etc

Shout if you require more help
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

YT9TP

Did the suggestions in my last post resolve you problem?
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

One thing: make sure the syncronization with dropbox has completed correctly after the last save (before shutting down the connection/PC), or your file will be not updated on the second PC.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

G4POP , thanks, your explanation did help me to understand how things work. I am going to try out your suggestions.

If I understood well, I have to create another profile and change address data? But my address data do not change, just location, and except my home, other locations I use actually do not have proper address as those are portable locations.

But, ok, if I use fixed remote location i can live with that.

What should I do when I am running portable, and I change locations a lot? Making separate profile for each location is not quite practical way to do. If would be nice to have an option to set locations within a profile so I can have one profile for portable use and option to set location info for each run.

For example, I would like to have one profile for all of my SOTA activations and one for all FloraFauna activations instead of new profile for each activation.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

You can have a profile called "portable" and update it every time you want.
Your ACTUAL informations is saved in EACH QSO that, will retain informations About what was the configuration at the time of QSO insert.

I have a @home profile and a /p profile, and i usually switch to the /P and update it time to time, before saving QSO related to a specific location
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

Can we at least heave an option to display current profile settings more than just profile name? I can find out wrong QTH settings only after I add QSO info, when it is already sent to external logs. And even when I find out that there is error I cannot fix that as I were unable to find option to change my QTH info in QSO (except, probably, if I access SQLite database directly)

My point is that as it is now it is confusing and it is easy to make errors hard to fix.