LoTW weirdness

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
w0ls
Advanced Class

Re: LoTW weirdness

Post by w0ls »

I am glad I ran into this thread since I am having the same problem. I am not a programmer and do not particularly want to mess with the database. So what should I do? Has the lotw staff been made aware of this problem and if so are they going to fix it? Should I just on saving FT8 contacts and doing uploads/downloads and accumulating more corruption in the database?

Thanks,
Harry
W0LS
NS8K
Advanced Class

Post by NS8K »

w0ls wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 21:33 I am glad I ran into this thread since I am having the same problem. I am not a programmer and do not particularly want to mess with the database. So what should I do? Has the lotw staff been made aware of this problem and if so are they going to fix it? Should I just on saving FT8 contacts and doing uploads/downloads and accumulating more corruption in the database?

Thanks,
Harry
W0LS
Harry,

I don't think LoTW would have any intention to change the ADIF back to the earlier format. They probably feel including comments in the state and county fields is a good enhancement. If that's all true, Log4OM will have to fix this and I guess we're just waiting for an official word.

When this is fixed, you will be able to just do a fresh download from the day this happened (12/12/17 for me) and it will fix all of the problem records. In the meantime, uploading works just fine so no problem there. If you can live with the troubles it causes in Stats and Awards, continuing to download isn't hurting anything in the database that won't be fixed later.

For me, my interest is worked states in JTAlert. These database errors really screw that up so I've not been downloading but instead log into LoTW each day and look at my recent QSLs and manually update worked states by band in JTAlert. It's a bit of a pain but I don't think it will last very long. I have also repaired the database using the SQL statement shown in an earlier post and have not downloaded since I did that but I can understand your apprehension about trying that. It's not something a casual user should attempt, IMO. It's a great way to go from the frying pan right into the fire.
73 - Tom NS8K
w0ls
Advanced Class

Post by w0ls »

Thanks Tom for clarifying the problem for me. I will probably use the same approach that you are until this is fixed which I hope is soon.

73's,
Harry
W0LS
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

State is done, working on county
73 Terry G4POP
w0ls
Advanced Class

Post by w0ls »

Great!! Thanks Terry....

Harry
w9mdb
Old Man

Post by w9mdb »

Turns out you can fix this inside Log4OM

#0 Back it up!!!
#1 Open QSO Manager/QSO Archive
#2 Click Search Parameters at bottom
#3 in the Simple pulldown select "State" and then "LIKE". Then put "%//%" in the box. Click +. Close the window.
#4 Click Search at the top, then Select All
#5 Click Field Update
#6 Under "Execute custom update query" put this:
update log set state=SUBSTR(state,1,2) WHERE SUBSTR(state,4,2)="//"
#7 Click all 4 warning boxes and then the "I understand..." button underneath.

de Mike W9MDB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Problem is that the next LOTW download will revert the data to 'Weird' mode
73 Terry G4POP
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

Yep that is right. I am currently doing this every morning after D/L from LOTW and then updating JTAlert.

Each LOTW update screws it up.
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
w6trh
Novice Class

Post by w6trh »

I too have started having the issue where the state name becomes something like CA // California after getting LOTW confirmations, which then result in the confirmed QSO being considered NOT FOUND by Log4OM.

I think I could fix this partially using the SQL query and update suggested below, and then restrict LOTW confirmations to only those since the last update. This would limit the issue to only the newly received confirmations. So one would have to periodically rerun the SQL query and update. This is necessary since JT Alert does not recognize the NOT FOUND QSOs when doing a scan and rebuild.

However, I am wondering if this issue is more appropriately fixed by LOTW, or is something in the works for Log4OM to accommodate the LOTW format ? I will gladly go beak at the League if that is the right answer.

I am running version 1.30 with Windows 10 x64.

Thanks Terry and Dan for a great logger. Can't wait for the next version.

Tom
W6TRH
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

"I am wondering if this issue is more appropriately fixed by LOTW"

That is not going to happen. Will bet you lunch :)

But I think Terry has the fix well on the way.
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team