Connection to TS-570D

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
AE4Y
Novice Class

Connection to TS-570D

Post by AE4Y »

So far I'm stumped attempting to use Hamlib to connect my TS-570D to my laptop using a Serial-USB cable.

I'm using the following settings:
Port: COM3
Baud Rate: 9600
Stop Bits: 1
Data Carrier Detect: None
RTS and DTR: both checked (but have also tried both unchecked)

When I click Open, the Hamlib Launched light turns green and remains on, the CAT Status light turns green briefly then goes back to red.

I've also attempted to connect using Omnirig, but no success there either.

Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Kent, AE4Y
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Connection to TS-570D

Post by NN7D »

Hi Kent,

We would recommend using OmniRig - much higher chance of success. AND make sure you install and start Log4OM as Administrator. Same with OmniRig, if you have to install it separately. Not doing that is the number one reason for CAT not working.

Second thing to check is that you have the current device driver installed for your USB connection for your rig. Then make sure the baud rate matches exactly between OmniRig and your rig.

Let us know how it goes with OmniRig.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
AE4Y
Novice Class

Post by AE4Y »

First of all, thanks for the quick response and the help.

To be safe, I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Log4OM and Omnirig, right-clicking the installation files icon and selecting Run as Administrator.

I also checked the USB port drivers. All of them appear to be up to date, in fact the driver on the specific port I'm using was just updated.

I also double checked the baud rate I'm using and it is 9600 which is what the TS570D requires.

None of these steps have worked. I've tried loading the program, then turning on the rig and vice versa, to no avail.

I am selecting Omnirig from the Options window under Settings and then clicking on the headphones icon to select the rig, etc.

I'm using the TS440 selection since the TS570D is not listed. I've tried a couple of the other rig selections and several other ports, but no luck so far.

Again, thanks for the help, but I'm running out of ideas.

Kent, AE4Y
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

The 'Kenwood' selection always used to work with my 570

Double check what baud is set in the radio menu, it may not be the default 9600
73 Terry G4POP
AE4Y
Novice Class

Post by AE4Y »

Thanks for your suggestions.

I've already tried the Kenwood selection, as well as several other Kenwood rig selections, and have double checked the baud rates several times.

In the meantime, by digging through some old threads on other forums dealing with CAT interfacing the TS-570D, I've learned that a simple straight through (no chipset) serial cable is required. The cable I'm currently using contains a Prolific chipset, which apparently is a particularly bad combination to use with Kenwood rigs.

I've got a straight through serial-USB cable on the way to me which hopefully will solve the problem.

Thanks again,

Kent, AE4Y
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

AE4Y wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 23:45 The cable I'm currently using contains a Prolific chipset
You should use an FTDI USB to serial converter for all early Kenwood radios or just a straight serial cable if your computer is equiped with a 9 pin serial port
73 Terry G4POP
AE4Y
Novice Class

Post by AE4Y »

Thanks again for the help.

I tried a straight through serial to USB cable today, but the computer wouldn't recognize that it had been plugged into any of my three ports. So that one, like the first one with the Prolific chip, has been returned.

I'm now waiting for the arrival of an FTDI serial to USB cable, which hopefully will solve my issue.

Kent, AE4Y
AE4Y
Novice Class

Post by AE4Y »

Problem Resolved:

The solution to my attempts to connect my Kenwood TS-570D to my laptop computer was a FTDI chip female Serial-USB cable, but because most cables of that type appear to be configured as Null Modem cables, I also had to obtain a DB9 Male/DB9 Female Null Modem adapter plug.

The FTDI chip female Serial-USB null modem cable by itself would not work.

Connecting the Male/Female Null Modem adapter to the cable reversed the pin wiring, re-configuring the cable into a "Non-null modem" cable.

OmniRig control of the TS-570D is now working perfectly.

Persistence finally paid off.

Kent, AE4Y
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Glad you figured it out!
Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA