Grid from 4 to 6 places please

General discussions about Log4OM features
NN1D
Novice Class

Grid from 4 to 6 places please

Post by NN1D »

Hello,

4 place grid is fine for HF work, can 6 digit grid placement please be added..
when working VHF and above bands 6 digit grid gives a more accurate distances.
it also needs to be allowed when getting information from HAMQTH.com or QRZ.com

73 -
Tony
NN1D
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Grid from 4 to 6 places please

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Tony,

normally 6 digit Grids are allowed. I checking this with my own callsign and get JO30TK return
from HamQTH. Check this with your call and get only 4 digits. Looks like your information at
HamQTH gives me the 4 digit Locator. I can´t check via qrz.com so i´m not a XML subscriber
and i can´t get grid or zone information by that way.

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
NN1D
Novice Class

Post by NN1D »

Hi,

And thank you for the response, i did change my grid locator in HAMQTH to FN41JR and now it polls
correctly, i see where my issue is.. i use a local database like hamcall stored on my drive in the HAM0
directory,or QRZ CDROM but LOG4OM does not use local databases that i can find anywhere in the setup.
can i change that locally? ..

Have you worked any VHF openings? like 6 meters? normally call-sign and grid and RST is the common exchange
in the logbook, if i add the call sign i have to multiple tab around to get to the next field that i want (the grid).

Setting the call-sign as the first, grid the second RST as the third etc. or at least be able to number the
tab boxes to what ever make it more flexible to the user for what information is needed to be added next.

That is very useful for us VHF guys, faster for the pileups i sometimes get cault up in!

Tony
NN1D
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Log4OM does not support local databases, as we didn't find any standard widely used for that (better, i never find one with shared and widely accepted format).

About data entry sequence, the tabbing between fields is fixed and based on a "common pattern" that probably is not pretty ideal for VHF contesting. Take note Log4OM is usually retrieving locator from external sources and RST are usually defaulted, so this is something we didn't considered in the past.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH