LOG4OM & JTALERT

Regarding connecting to external program's.
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Re: LOG4OM & JTALERT

Post by WA2SQQ »

Terry, I’d like to start off by thanking you for your prompt responses, and for providing such great support for a free product. Other logging programs that are not free can’t provide the support you and the team does. – It is appreciated! I want to be very clear that my comments below are not criticism. I’m offering them to hopefully assist others and hopefully identify a few things that can be improved so that support questions, like mine, can be minimized.

So, I figured out part of this mystery and I’ve identified a few other issues that you might want to consider updating in the manual. So that you have a better understanding of where my comments come from, I’m a product engineer for a well-known Japanese consumer electronics company. One of my responsibilities is proof reading owner’s manual for digital cameras. I’ve accepted the fact that when the engineer (or designer) writes the manual, often important details are not always clear because we take certain things for granted.

1. I was able to get the “STOP” icon to go RED by running LOG4OM in the ADMIN mode. Perhaps the manual states this requirement elsewhere, but I don’t see it mentioned anywhere in this section of the manual. Fact #1 – no user ever reads the entire manual.

2. I checked my other PC, also running Windows 10 (build 1709). I’m not running in ADMIN mode. Could this change be due to the recent update to Win 10, build 1803?

3. The attached graphic image of the Services screen (taken from the current operating manual) does not show the screen currently used in LOG4OM. The SAVE icon is now a floppy disc and the GREEN START is in another position. Fact #2, screen shots need to be 100% accurate, or don’t include them.

4. Where or how does one click to get the Inbound / Outbound drop-down menu to appear?

5. On Pg 183 of the current manual, Step #3 states, “Check the boxes indicated”. What boxes? There aren’t any boxes to “check”. “Save and Start will cause the communicator window to open” – Huh, it’s already open?

6. “Inbound messages by UDP” – “Check the UDP (Add message) Check Box – I have no idea what this is saying – add what message?
The attachment Service Screen.jpg is no longer available
Service Screen.jpg
Service Screen.jpg (79.86 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Service Screen II.jpg
Service Screen II.jpg (40.96 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

If I offended anyone or brought attention to a matter that has no immediate solution, I'm very sorry. Is this a matter of no answer, no interest or no time to respond? I thought it could be a topic to assist other users.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WA2SQQ wrote: 17 May 2018, 18:38 Is this a matter of no answer, no interest or no time to respond?

Sometimes our private lives intrude on out time available to answer forum questions!
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WA2SQQ wrote: 15 May 2018, 14:11 So, I figured out part of this mystery and I’ve identified a few other issues that you might want to consider updating in the manual. So that you have a better understanding of where my comments come from

I am pleased that you have resolved the issue

1. I was able to get the “STOP” icon to go RED by running LOG4OM in the ADMIN mode. Perhaps the manual states this requirement elsewhere, but I don’t see it mentioned anywhere in this section of the manual. Fact #1 – no user ever reads the entire manual.

It is stated very clearly in red in several places in the quick start and also user manuals that Log4OM must always be installed to 'Run as an administrator' by right clicking the install file and selecting 'Run as an administrator' this has also been documented many times on this forum

2. I checked my other PC, also running Windows 10 (build 1709). I’m not running in ADMIN mode. Could this change be due to the recent update to Win 10, build 1803?

Only Microsoft can answer that but quiet often strange things occur after a MS update

3. The attached graphic image of the Services screen (taken from the current operating manual) does not show the screen currently used in LOG4OM. The SAVE icon is now a floppy disc and the GREEN START is in another position. Fact #2, screen shots need to be 100% accurate, or don’t include them.

I will update the manual when time permits

4. Where or how does one click to get the Inbound / Outbound drop-down menu to appear?

Communicator - Settings/inbound/inbound settings

5. On Pg 183 of the current manual, Step #3 states, “Check the boxes indicated”. What boxes? There aren’t any boxes to “check”.

This refers to the 'Auto start' box at the top, I will change the graphic

6. “Inbound messages by UDP” – “Check the UDP (Add message) Check Box – I have no idea what this is saying – add what message?

It means what it says check the box in the inbound settings window that has the title "UDP Connection (Add message)" see below

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (32.52 KiB) Viewed 6171 times
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Thanks Terry, I’ll try the suggestions. All understood.
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Terry
I wanted to share some info that you and LOG4OM users might find helpful. On Pg 183, Step 5, it states that after clicking on “Save Config” the “the Communicator window will now open”. I’ve tried two different PC’s running Windows 10 (build 1803). The Communicator window starts, but it immediately minimizes itself to the task bar. You never really see it. It was the similarity of the Services window and the Communicator window that was driving me crazy – not being able to locate the “Inbound” tab.

Once you discover that, and you click on the minimized tab, everything starts agreeing with the manual.

Another point of interest is the new Flex firmware that will probably be released in early July. It integrates the DX Cluster into the GUI spectral display. Calls of stations that are on the cluster will be placed near their signal on the band scope. I was told it uses the same UDP arrangement as JT Alert. I know one of the beta testers and I’ll ask him to get me some screen shots of the setup and operation. I sense that my previous posts may have irritated you, not my intention. The support you provide, for a free product, far surpasses that of similar paid products. So once again, I’m sorry if my posts were perceived differently.
Communicator Window.jpg
Communicator Window.jpg (192.59 KiB) Viewed 6099 times