External source and SCL question

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
N9LQ
Novice Class

External source and SCL question

Post by N9LQ »

I am trying to figure out why when I type in the call VI9NI into the callsign field, it populates the Name with Special Event Station, but does not populate the Country field. I have not seen this behavior with any other callsign, so I suspect that Log4OM cannot get the correct info from QRZ.COM which I have selected as my External source in the Settings 1 tab.

I thought maybe the SCL database needed to be updated. I have auto update turned on in the Settings menu. When I choose Utilities then Log4OM SCL Contents, I get a display in the Browser tab, but only 10 calls listed; the last one dated 2018-11-30. I have tried manually downloading the latest SCL file from the website, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I don't understand why this is happening.

I am running version 1.36.0, and in the About screen, it shows the latest update to the SCL file as 4/9/19.

Can anyone explain to me what is happening with this particular call, and also whether the SCL is working properly? Thanks!
73, Joel N9LQ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: External source and SCL question

Post by G4POP »

Did you update the Clublog file?
73 Terry G4POP
N9LQ
Novice Class

Post by N9LQ »

I thought I did, but now I am not so sure. Attached is a screenshot of the About page. It shows a current update for all the files, but suspiciously, the file date on the left side isn't actually populated for a couple of the external files.
Attachments
log4om about screen.JPG
log4om about screen.JPG (46.45 KiB) Viewed 4998 times
73, Joel N9LQ
N9LQ
Novice Class

Post by N9LQ »

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on for me with this?
73, Joel N9LQ
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

N9LQ wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 05:23 Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on for me with this?
Log4OM is now using ClubLog as the primary source for callsign/country resolution. With that said, when I enter VI9NI into Log4OM, it resolves to Norfolk Is. And according to the Clublog Call Tester feature (https://clublog.org/test.php ), VI9NI is mapped to Norfolk Island.

Are you getting other results for VI9NI, rather than Norfolk Is.?

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
N9LQ
Novice Class

Post by N9LQ »

Hi Doug, thanks for the reply. When I type in VI9NI, it doesn't resolve to a country, it just leaves it blank. I have had to edit the log entry after the fact to get the country info set. Here is a picture of what I get when I just type VI9NI into the callsign field.
log4om vi9ni image.JPG
log4om vi9ni image.JPG (99.51 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
73, Joel N9LQ
VA3AG
Old Man

Post by VA3AG »

When I enter VI9NI it gives me Norfolk Is. I am not having the problem you are having.
Is your Iota file up to date?
Aldo VA3AG
N9LQ
Novice Class

Post by N9LQ »

I have AutoUpdate checked, but also downloaded all the files manually again today just to be sure, then exited the program and restarted it. The problem still remains. The image below shows the program version, and file dates. Does my about screen look like it should?
Any other valid callsign correctly populates the country field. This VI9NI callsign is the only one that I see this problem with. I'm very puzzled. Any help is greatly appreciated!
log4om vi9ni image 2.JPG
log4om vi9ni image 2.JPG (129.5 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
73, Joel N9LQ
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Your About, External Files look fine.

So let's do this.

1. In Log4OM, go to Help, Debug Mode - and set to Trace.
2. Enter the problem call in Log4OM to reproduce the problem.
3. Now go to Help, Send Bug report - and follow the directions. Send bug report to me at my QRZ email address - W7DRM.

We will take a look and try to see what is happening.

Thanks.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Log4OM bases his checks on a file called COUNTRY.XML
This file is the only source used for cluster scanning, due to performance needs (it's expensive to check clublog and other sources while receiving a long list of spots).
COUNTRY file contains all the rules to determine if a callsign belongs to a country or another one, with exceptions that are handled in a later time, at time of logging when the callsign is active (qrz/hamqth/clublog/etc)

In this case Norfolk Islands are mapped VK9N*
The callsign reported use a different naming pattern (VI9N*) so the solution is to add this pattern to the country file in order to allow log4OM to identify that call correctly while scanning for cluster.

Blank cluster items are often mistakes made when callsign was typed, but sometime happens that we get a "new one", never seen pattern. In that case we update the regular expression pattern on the country file and everything works again.

Country file uploaded to centralized distribution system, force a download if you experience troubles.

Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH