PstRotator, Log4OM not communicating

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G4IUA
Advanced Class

PstRotator, Log4OM not communicating

Post by G4IUA »

I’m using WSJT-X, Log4OM and PstRotator. All are latest versions.

With WSJT-X everything works well, automatically rotating the antenna when selecting a station and logging to Log4OM. However when manually entering a callsign into Log4OM I cannot get any response from PstRotator. I’ve just had excellent support from Codrut (the guy who wrote the program) and who kindly spend quite some time checking the configuration, using TeamViewer. No luck unfortunately.

For those using PstRotator with Log4OM, UDP is deselected in setup (only used with WSJT-X) and the tracker is set to Log4OM. Under Setup/Trackers setup/Log4OM the port number is 12040, tracking by azimuth. In the Log4OM config, the Outbound the PST Rotator connection (UTP) matches as 12040, send Azimuth.

After our TeamViewer session Codrut emailed back saying that he recreated the same problem, having just downloaded Log4OM v1.36. He’s working on it, but I wondered if anyone else has experienced the same problem?

Jeff – G4IUA
oe3ide
Advanced Class

Re: PstRotator, Log4OM not communicating

Post by oe3ide »

Hello Jeff,

I am also using Log4OM and PSTRotator. Here my settings:

In Log4OM - Communicator (must be stopped):
Settings => Outbound => PSTRotator
* PST Rotator Connection (UDP): ticked
* Port: 12040
* Send Azimuth: ticked

In PSTRotator:
* Tracker: Log4OM
* Menue "Comm" => UDP Control Setup (I am not sure, if this is really needed):
* Port 12040
* IP: 10.0.0.255 (or maybe in your network 192.168.0.255)
* Automaticall positions reporting when the rotor is moving: ticked

It works without issues...

73 Ernst
G4IUA
Advanced Class

Post by G4IUA »

Hi Ernst,

Thank you for your help. I’ve checked that everything is as per your list, the only difference is that I cannot find where you entered the IP address you mentioned (other than Communication/TCP Client, whereas I use RS232/TCP server to communicate with the AlfaSpid controller). Also, where did you select ‘Automatic positions reporting’?

I should be able to go the Rotate icon in Log4OM and select, say, Park Antenna. As you might expect, that doesn’t work.

I uninstalled Log4OM and reinstalled it, but no difference.

Initially Codrut encountered the same problem on his setup but later somehow made it work. I can’t think of anything in my PC preventing it from working and it works perfectly in yours, so – logically – if I have the same settings as you mine should also work!

I’d appreciate any more ideas you may have.

Jeff – G4IUA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4IUA wrote: 09 May 2019, 14:44 I should be able to go the Rotate icon in Log4OM and select, say, Park Antenna. As you might expect, that doesn’t work.
No you select the rotator in PSTRotator, clicking the icon in Log4OM causes the rotator to rotate to the required bearing

Probably one of the usual issues like

1. Log4OM, PSTRotator and other software not installed to run as an administrator as detailed in user guide and quick start guide

2. Communicator not auto started

3. Communicator closed instead of minimised

4. Incorrect or unmatched port setting in communicator or PSTRotator

Check rotator works directly from PSTRotator

Check log file to see what activity there is in trace mode when rotator is called via clicking icon

Don't keep reinstalling the software it's pointless
73 Terry G4POP
G4IUA
Advanced Class

Post by G4IUA »

Thanks Terry.

Checked all installed and running as administrator.
Communicator is on autostart and is running
Communicator minimised, not closed
Port 12040 in both communicator and PstRotator
Rotator works perfectly from PstRotator and with WSJT-X
Communicator Settings/Outbound/PstRotator is selected, and Send Azimuth. Port 12040
Trace mode log: Sending rotator azimuth message to communicator (or PARK if that’s selected)

I agree re uninstalling and reinstalling software in general is pointless, but I wanted to ensure it was installed as an administrator and run as such.

Seems communicator module isn’t talking to PstRotator for some reason and I can’t understand why it isn’t. What else can I check?

Jeff – G4IUA
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Jeff,

Check the log file, after going to Help/Debug Mode and setting it to Trace, then reproducing the steps to try and turn the rotor. Then check the log. You might find the issue in the log.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

W7DRM wrote: 10 May 2019, 00:59 Jeff,

Check the log file, after going to Help/Debug Mode and setting it to Trace, then reproducing the steps to try and turn the rotor. Then check the log. You might find the issue in the log.

Doug - W7DRM
Also check the communicator log file
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Jeff,
Was it working previously or is this the first time you have tried it?
73 Terry G4POP
G4IUA
Advanced Class

Post by G4IUA »

I've just entered a dummy callsign into Log4OM and here is the result of the Realtime Log showing that at least the command "Sending rotator azimuth message to communicator" is being generated. Presumably the problem lies after that.

Whilst I've had the software on my PC for ages it's only since I put up a hexbeam last week that I've been able to actually try it out, so it might have not worked from Day 1.

Jeff
Attachments
Log File 10-5-19.jpg
Log File 10-5-19.jpg (55.3 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Check the communicator log file and try turning off all anti virus and firewall software
73 Terry G4POP