Upon installation of new versions my database doesn't load

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
N5INP
Old Man

Upon installation of new versions my database doesn't load

Post by N5INP »

I want to try and get an answer one more time.

I just downloaded the new version of Log4OM and installed it. Once again, after I run it my entire log does not show up, and I have to import a backup. This has been happening for years. For some reason it doesn't know where my database is (I guess?) so I have to import my backup. Then after that it carries on and stores all new logging in the (improper) place and all works well until the next time. I have never been able to solve this problem. I've asked for help before and I can never get it fixed.

It seems sort of simple on it's face -

A. Find database
B. Move database to the proper location or tell program where the location is so that new installations can fine it.

The problem is, after searching the documentation, I neither know how to find the database or find out how to do anything with it even if I found it. I do not even know why this happens, because the program works fine after I import my backup log.

Can anyone help to finally get this resolved?
Can anyone tell me the steps I can follow to fix this.

Thanks.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Upon installation of new versions my database doesn't load

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi,
Log4OM require admin privileges only to work with external software that will CALL Log4Om itself to push informations into Log4OM services.
Due to a windows limitation any "unsigned" software is considered "malware" by Microsoft, and listening services (WCF typically) will be prohibited.
For a normal use, admin privileges should be not needed.

Log4Om does not delete your sqlite file, never.
The only thing it does is uninstall itself (if you uninstall the software) and remove the STANDARD files from /roaming folder.
If you reinstall over a previous uninstall, you will get everything as before.

Now, how things works.
You create a DB, called <whateveryouwant.SQLite> placed somewhere in your hard disk, usb drive or external disk.
Log4OM in his "config" file stored in C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\LogOM will save the path to the database.
When you install over a previous installation, the config file is kept, so there is apparently no reasons to have log4om not finding the file, assuming you didn't moved/deleted it.

We noticed, anyway, that some "ultra aggressive" safety configurations of windows prevents almost any usage of the roaming folder to installed software, and this can be your situation. Unfortunately a diagnose is difficult to made without logs but it's really strange that you won't loose your configuration and you're only loosing link to the database.
Where are you saving the database? can you see if the database is still there after a reinstall? in that case FILE -> OPEN DATABASE will load the old database and save it again in the program config.

Did you check for "errors" in the program error log, accessible from HELP menu? if yes, can you paste there the relevant ERROR section? this will help us finding the issue

Thanks
Daniele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

IW3HMH wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 20:42 We noticed, anyway, that some "ultra aggressive" safety configurations of windows prevents almost any usage of the roaming folder to installed software, and this can be your situation. Unfortunately a diagnose is difficult to made without logs but it's really strange that you won't loose your configuration and you're only loosing link to the database.
Where are you saving the database? can you see if the database is still there after a reinstall? in that case FILE -> OPEN DATABASE will load the old database and save it again in the program config.
Thank you Daniele. I did read your entire post and took note of it all. I am going to do an investigation upon finding my database file and report as thoroughly as possible what I find.

Really, this odd thing is the only anomaly I've encountered with Log4OM. There has to be an explanation for it. Maybe I did something really strange a long time ago when I first installed it, or there is an oddity with something on my system.

I hope to report back tomorrow with all that I can find out.

Thank you for being patient.
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

Very interesting observations -

According to your comments about the Roaming folder, I examined the contents there and located my .SQLite file "LogOm.SQLite" (there is no 4 in the name) in the AppData\Roaming dir. This after I imported my own log file backup after again installing the updated Log4OM file as Administrator as another test. This importing of my own backup is what has been required over several years as I didn't know what was going on. Now, I have found the sql file in the Roaming Dir. so we know it resides there. I also manually loaded that SQLite file from Log4OM file menu and it is as it should be - the same as my own backup. So far so good.

There is another file called log4om.sql (not SQLite). It is 13 kB and dated 2018 whereas the proper one is 1.5 MB and has the proper date of today. Don't know if this is significant ...

Now what happens when installing new versions of Log4OM? I did one more install of the latest Log4OM upgrade as Administrator to see what happens to the LogOm.SQLite file. I had the AppData\Roaming directory on-screen so I could watch what happens. After the install the contacts (Recent QSO) tab is again totally empty. Here's the interesting part - the LogOM.SQLite file that had all my contacts was replaced by one that has 20 kB and dated 2018 - it happened before my own eyes! Even loading that 20 kB file produces an empty list of contacts. That is, I guess, the explanation. But, why is this happening?

Please look at the screen shots: files_before (files before re-installation) and files_after files after re-installation).

I am emailing you a log file too as I cannot properly diagnose many interesting things in it. But, we now know that the sql file containing my contacts is being replaced by another smaller empty one by some process.
files_before.jpg
files_before.jpg (33.39 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
files_after.jpg
files_after.jpg (31.74 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

logom.sql is the base file for MYSQL database creation.
LogOm.sqlite is the EMPTY FILE that Log4OM use to create a new database. It will be renamed and saved with the required name during the "FILE -> NEW" activity

If you save your log in LogOM.SQLite, that is a "system file", you're writing over the application template file, that is fully replaced on every reinstall.

you should not use that file for storing your data, as it's intended to be a clean file for creation of new database. Technically you can create dozens of archives, each one with data for a different callsign...
Simply create a NEW sqlite file somewhere, better not in the roaming folder and definitely not using the template /roaming/logom.sqlite for storing your data.

Best 73
Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

IW3HMH wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 13:32 logom.sql is the base file for MYSQL database creation.
LogOm.sqlite is the EMPTY FILE that Log4OM use to create a new database. It will be renamed and saved with the required name during the "FILE -> NEW" activity

If you save your log in LogOM.SQLite, that is a "system file", you're writing over the application template file, that is fully replaced on every reinstall.

you should not use that file for storing your data, as it's intended to be a clean file for creation of new database. Technically you can create dozens of archives, each one with data for a different callsign...
Simply create a NEW sqlite file somewhere, better not in the roaming folder and definitely not using the template /roaming/logom.sqlite for storing your data.
OK now we're getting somewhere! Thanks. :D

I can remember asking about this on the forum in years past and never got this far. I do not know why that name was used for my database. I've been using this since probably 2014 so whatever happened back then, whatever I may have done, has carried forward to this day.

Thank you again!