Multiple Computer Support

General discussions about Log4OM features
N6VV
New user

Multiple Computer Support

Post by N6VV »

Long time LOG4OM user and major advocate trying to educate all of my friends in Northern California. I have a question which is probably a FAQ but have searched every combination of words to see if this subject exists with no luck.

I have a multi-multi type contest station with multiple monoband yagis and other antennas and 3 operating positions on a 7 meter bench that me and some mates operate contests from. For contests we use N1MM in a multi configuration mode running on 3 or 4 different computers. N1MM has an elegant networking feature which allows each station to operate independently on different bands while sharing all data on the network.

I have been using a fully integrated FT8 station with an Elecraft K3 using LOG4OM and WSJT-X , JTAlert and the Virtual Port emulator . It works flawlessly and with a single entry key to complete the QSO and make the log entry. I keep my log file on dropbox so like others I can run multiple locations and field operations using the single dropbox log file. Everything is perfect.

I recently set up a second and now third station so I can run multiple FT8 stations at the same time. I know, I am also writing a book called " Beyond Type A" ..
The question is, can I have multiple copies of LOG4OM running on multiple computers all sharing the same log file over the internet on dropbox ?

I am also experimenting with the idea of just importing and ADIF file from time to time from the 2nd and 3rd station. I seem to remember seeing something like that mentioned previously. If that is the only suggestion can that be done on some kind of Chron job that would initiate the ADIF import from time to time.

Thanks again for the great system and your outstanding support

regards

Lew N6VV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Multiple Computer Support

Post by G4POP »

The question is, can I have multiple copies of LOG4OM running on multiple computers all sharing the same log file over the internet on dropbox ?
Yes you can and that is exactly what I do.

However if it is possible that more than one station might write to the log at exactly the same time then you need to change to a MySQL database which will allow this.

I am also experimenting with the idea of just importing and ADIF file from time to time from the 2nd and 3rd station. I seem to remember seeing something like that mentioned previously. If that is the only suggestion can that be done on some kind of Chron job that would initiate the ADIF import from time to time.
There is no need to do this if you use either a common SQLite or MySQL database
73 Terry G4POP
N6VV
New user

Post by N6VV »

Terry

Thanks for that information. Yes the multiple writes does work but I a will be unable to prevent simultaneous writes with my current design so I will switch to a MySQL DB when I get a chance..

Thanks very much

lew
W3FA
Novice Class

Post by W3FA »

OK, almost 2 years later I am asking the same question. So if I understand;

1- Log4OM does not create an ADI file that my Main/Master can point to for updated qsos unless it is done manually and imported? This is cumbersome. I manually do it that way for N1MM+ contest qsos.

2-I can convert my sqlite db to MySQL and have both computers share the same MySQL DB which can be located on the Main/Master computer?

Thanks if true we may be on to something here.
Jim/W3FA
Jim/W3FA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

W3FA wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 01:44 OK, almost 2 years later I am asking the same question. So if I understand;

1- Log4OM does not create an ADI file that my Main/Master can point to for updated qsos unless it is done manually and imported? This is cumbersome. I manually do it that way for N1MM+ contest qsos.

Generally Version 1 is only interested in import of ADIF's or QSO's and does not broadcast the data, V2 may do this :-) but of course there is a backup ADIF automatically generated which could possibly be used, if this is set in the V1 options?

Integration with N1MM was added some time ago so now N1MM automatically adds QSO's to Log4OM as they are logged in N1MM.
2-I can convert my sqlite db to MySQL and have both computers share the same MySQL DB which can be located on the Main/Master computer?
Yes you can and this is what I suggested if Sinultaneous logging is required in my last post
73 Terry G4POP