QSL label design

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
hb9xcl
Novice Class

QSL label design

Post by hb9xcl »

Hi there and thanks for your excellent work!

I have one suggestion concerning the QSL labels. Using the "Swisslog" program, I used to print the data directly on the QSL card, filling in the pre-printed fields. It would thus be greate to have a QSL label designer, which allows me to create my own layout(s) and move the single fields according to my needs.

Guess it's a bunch of work .. but would make the label printing option much more valueable.

Thanks for checking guys!

73s
Kurt, HB9XCL
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: QSL label design

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Kurt,
it's a feature in our todo list. It's still unplanned, since this function is well covered by many software that does this as main "task", but it's in the list :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
hb9xcl
Novice Class

Post by hb9xcl »

Hello Daniele,
thanks for your answer- you're faster than the light ;)

I agree, there are other dedicated QSL printing tools, but then I have again to download and upload the data to an external program... which would be number 3 in the list (Ham Radio Deluxe to Log4Om to QSLing tool). Before I do that, I rather write my QSL's by myself :D

I think most of the users won't change their QSL label layout everyday, so it's maybe enough to have a kind of a config file containing position and font information per field. This could be edited by e.g. notepad. Maybe an option instead of coding a graphical layout editor...

Thanks and best 73s
Kurt HB9XCL
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Kurt,
Why not print a label to the size of your card data?
73 Terry G4POP
hb9xcl
Novice Class

Post by hb9xcl »

Hi Terry

sorry I don't understand what you mean. Need more coffee :)

Can you please explain?

tnx
Kurt
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Sorry Kurt I should have been specific!

With Log4OM you can design the size of your label.

If the area on your QSL card where you complete the details of the QSO is for example about 100 x 65 mm just buy some labels that are large enough to cover that area.

Then set up the label designer in Log4Om to the size of label that you purchased and save the layout - Now in Label print select that label that you just designed and print the labels to fix on to the card.

Whilst writing can you let me know why you said "(Ham Radio Deluxe to Log4Om to QSLing tool)" are you logging with HRD and then transferring an ADIF to Log4OM?

73 Terry G4POP
hb9xcl
Novice Class

Post by hb9xcl »

Hi Terry,
sorry for my late answer... busy times...started a new job in a new company...
G4POP wrote:With Log4OM you can design the size of your label.

If the area on your QSL card where you complete the details of the QSO is for example about 100 x 65 mm just buy some labels that are large enough to cover that area.

Then set up the label designer in Log4Om to the size of label that you purchased and save the layout - Now in Label print select that label that you just designed and print the labels to fix on to the card.
That's right, but I use this kind of old fashioned QSL cards where the QSO details are distributed all over the form, like QSL manager is on top right side, QSO partner below the manager, QSL please/thanks is at bottom right side etc. If I'd print a big label and stick it over the different fields, it would just look ugly. That's the reason why I printed directly on the card.
G4POP wrote: Whilst writing can you let me know why you said "(Ham Radio Deluxe to Log4Om to QSLing tool)" are you logging with HRD and then transferring an ADIF to Log4OM?
as I said..busy times...my HRD log is still on MS Access, had no time to transfer it to mySQL yet. If I'm not wrong, I cannot connect Log4OM directly to this *.mdb, right? It needs to be SQL?

However, yes... at the moment my solution is to export an ADIF from HRD, import it to Log4OM and enjoy its perfect QSL managing tool :D I really like this feature and the possibility to print the address labels for direct cards too. Just great!

So thanks for all the work you guys do for us, and looking forward for new updates !

73s
Kurt, HB9XCL
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Kurt, i'm working on another kind of import that maybe could help you. Stay tuned :)
Daniele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Kurt,
I understand you dilemma with the cards so we need to press Daniele to add a card designer Hi!

You said...
at the moment my solution is to export an ADIF from HRD, import it to Log4OM and enjoy its perfect QSL managing tool I really like this feature and the possibility to print the address labels for direct cards too!
Once you have imported your log from HRD in ADIF format there is no need to be able to access the .MDB of HRD unless you are continuing to log in HRD, is that what you are doing, using HRD to log and LOG4OM just for QSL management?

If that is true why is it that you prefer to log in HRD?

73 Terry G4POP
hb9xcl
Novice Class

Post by hb9xcl »

Hi both,
G4POP wrote:
I understand you dilemma with the cards so we need to press Daniele to add a card designer Hi!
As already said...to have a label/card designer would be a very nice option, but I personally would be fine with a simple config file. The single fields have a X/Y position already, why not writing them into an *.ini or *.cfg instead of the hardcoding.. usually a user will adapt a layout once according to he's needs, then he will work with it for at least a while. A better option than to have a designer would be to have the possibility to choose between different (self-designed) layouts out of the *.ini or *.cfg file.
G4POP wrote:
Once you have imported your log from HRD in ADIF format there is no need to be able to access the .MDB of HRD unless you are continuing to log in HRD, is that what you are doing, using HRD to log and LOG4OM just for QSL management?

If that is true why is it that you prefer to log in HRD?
Just the same effect as explained in my last mail.. too much to do and too less time for hobby :( last year was a very busy one; now after my job change I have some more free time and I re-startet to manage all the open QSL's. Once it's done, I will change the log to Log4OM finally. It's just a question of time...

OK OM's, have a good evening and read you soon :)
73s
Kurt, HB9XCL