RTTY Spot

w9mdb
Old Man

RTTY Spot

Post by w9mdb »

RTTY spots do not set the correct frequency on the rig.
All Skimmer RTTY spots have 600Hz added to them.
So if a RTTY spot comes in at 7080.6 one needs to subtract 600Hz for the rig dial.
Do you think we could have an option in the system so we can get a frequency offset (could be +/-) to a RTTY spot? Just check the comment on the spot for "RTTY" and make the adjustment when setting the rig frequency?
This would work with FLDigi for example.

de Mike W9MDB
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: RTTY Spot

Post by KI5IO »

Mike,

There is an offset adjustment an OM can do in Configuration / CAT Interface.

An OM can also adjust offset from the Main UI Connect / CAT and select the CAT screen. That is also described in the Users Guide on Page 20.

Would either of those work for you?
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
w9mdb
Old Man

Post by w9mdb »

That applies to all modes though and it's only needed on a RTTY spot.
All other frequencies are correct.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Mike,

Checked this on my system. No RTTY spots all day, but when I entered a simulated RTTY spot which appeared on the cluster, than double clicked on said spot, the rig switched to exactly the freq of the spot. Also the freq display in the main UI agreed. I am using an IC-7600.

What rig are you using?
When you double click on an RTTY spot, what does the freq display in the main UI read? Same as spot, or offset?

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
w9mdb
Old Man

Post by w9mdb »

The problem is that the spot freq is the mark. If you tune on USB to that frequency you will hear nothing as it will be 0Hz offset from that frequency (actually below 0Hz offset on USB as the space will 170Hz below the mark). CW Skimmer adds 585Hz to the mark freq which rounds to 600Hz in the reverse beacon network. So subtracting 600Hz puts the mark at 585 again and you keep the center of your RTTY at 500 to work the spot.

For rigs that have a RTTY mode with built-in offsets you can set the freq, then switch to RTTY and it might adjust itself.

I can tell you this is a problem on IC-7300 which has to use USB-D, an ANAN-100 which does not even know about RTTY (there's nothing specific about the mode except offsets), and an IC-706MKIIG.

Mike
w9mdb
Old Man

Post by w9mdb »

I'll add that FLDigi does this all correctly when using FLDigi's built-in spotting system since it knows it's a spot and it's in RTTY op mode.

It will subtract your FLDigi offset from the spot (i.e. wherever you have your RTTY bars at) to make the spot match them. And when you have your bars centered at 500Hz it subtracts 600Hz (or maybe 585...not sure) from the spot
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

This has been a longstanding issue using AFSK. In my experience most avid RTTY users and contesters use FSK, which, as you describe, uses the Mark freq., and is normally the frequency spotted. I use the FSK RTTY mode on my IC 7600 and no offset is required.

But at times someone spots a freq using AFSK, and I must apply an offset manually. How do we know what flavor of spot it is?

What you are asking for, I think, is an option for a custom RTTY offset to be applied to the CAT freq command by Log4OM. I am not sure there are enough users who would use this feature. And, is that feature available in your rig's settings?

In time, we will add a feature request section to the V2 forum, and possibly a poll to rank the proposed features. Stay tuned.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
w9mdb
Old Man

Post by w9mdb »

With lack of RTTY activity any poll question will be pretty useless.

To me the idea that it's broken should be enough to prompt a solution.

As the primary maintainer of hamlib, for example, if I put up a poll question for every change requested we'd never make any changes. Most people either don't care, don't know, or it's not applicable.

Mike
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Mike,

Please explain, exactly what is broken?

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I think we need to add this to Mantis but just what process will efficiently decide which spots need an offset applied to and which don't could be difficult, let's look at it when we have time.

That said the processing of the spots in V2 is, as far as I recall, the same as in V1 and this question has not arisen as far as I can remember.
73 Terry G4POP