Locator Square Mapping

General discussions about Log4OM features
G4RRA
Novice Class

Locator Square Mapping

Post by G4RRA »

Hello All

Im currently using VQlog,I really like the simplicity of the program however I would like to migrate to log4om.

The thing that's stopping me is the lack of locator square mapping or indeed tracking

Are there any plans to include this in future releases?

Regards

Paul G4RRA
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Locator Square Mapping

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Paul,

nice idea. I´m working also at 6 m and sometimes above and i think that a funktion like this would be great to see the fields worked and the fields confirmed. Don´t know Danieles next steps but would be nice to see this at the mantis list for one of the future releases.

:) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Post by ei9ju »

This is something I too would find very useful and have asked about before.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4RRA wrote:Hello All

Im currently using VQlog,I really like the simplicity of the program however I would like to migrate to log4om.

The thing that's stopping me is the lack of locator square mapping or indeed tracking

Are there any plans to include this in future releases?

Regards

Paul G4RRA

Hi Paul,

We already have locator tracking on our Mantis list but this is more geared to listing Locators worked/required

Its a good idea to have map displays and this can be added as part of the awards statistics.

As you EI9JU and DF5WW seem to have clear ideas of what you require perhaps you would all like to work up a design proposal supported by diagrams and screen shots.

I will then refine the design with our Alpha team and add it to Mantis as an urgent feature
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

i've already started something on that side, but suggestions and a small draft could help (i'm not a gridsquare catcher, so i'm not aware about what could be useful and what not)

Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4RRA
Novice Class

Post by G4RRA »

Thanks for the positive replies..I feel it would be a really useful addition to the program.

A good start would be to look at VQlog,although its not perfect in this regard its certainly 90% of the way there in my opinion.

Most VHFers like to know what grids they have worked and on which bands, what is confirmed and what is not, a bit like HF Dxers like to know which DXCCs have been worked.Of course we also like to know the DXCC count

We tend to like to know what the propagation type was as well, something that's probably not as important to an HF logging program.

Blimey... those were two sentences that sound like a lot of programming work,probably time for me to be quiet ;)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Screen shots and suggested award layouts please?

I don't have time to download, learn and experiment with other software much better for me to concentrate on the job at hand like Alpha testing, writing the user guide and going to radio clubs to do presentations.

Whereas users that already use the software with features they like can easily do some screen grabs and send them to us.
73 Terry G4POP
G4RRA
Novice Class

Post by G4RRA »

I will send you a few screen grabs via e-mail to give you the idea Terry..
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Post by ei9ju »

I would send screen shots of other logging programs if I could but Log4OM is the only logging program left on this computer....hence my enthusiasm to see mapping and tracking enabled.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ei9ju wrote:I would send screen shots of other logging programs if I could but Log4OM is the only logging program left on this computer....hence my enthusiasm to see mapping and tracking enabled.
That's OK descriptions of what you need and diagrams if possible will help us
73 Terry G4POP