Mode lock in cluster not always working

V2 error reports
PA1WBU
Novice Class

Mode lock in cluster not always working

Post by PA1WBU »

Mode lock sometimes appears to be inverted to what is displayed/selected. Please see screen shots
Mode-lock-2020-02-13 18_02_26-Window.png
Mode-lock-2020-02-13 18_02_26-Window.png (46.65 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
No-mode-lock-2020-02-13 18_01_52-Window.png
No-mode-lock-2020-02-13 18_01_52-Window.png (44.05 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Mode lock in cluster not always working

Post by KD0ZV »

Do not understand.

It appears your radio is in CW mode so when you click Mode lock only CW stations are being shown. (Following Radio)

When you checked Phone it disregards what radio is on and only selects phone.

Am I missing something?

Rich
Last edited by KD0ZV on 13 Feb 2020, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Think he means the difference between "Emission Type" which means Mode and Spot Mode which will
be provided by the spotter himself ?

;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
PA1WBU
Novice Class

Post by PA1WBU »

Well, if I select the cluster view, then a Mode and subsequently Mode lock I expect the mode to be locked to what I have selected.
I do not see the logic of locking it to whatever mode is set on the trx?

In other words, the filter setting is selected, the mode locked and the cluster view displays accordingly.

I hope this makes sense ;)

cheers, Wilko
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

Its either/or.

Mode lock or Select Mode.

One method follows radio, other method allows you to manually select mode. They do not work together

The logic is if you are working CW you are not burdened with digital or phone spots. Useful in contest.
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Wilko,

the logic is that, if you have set the cluster to Mode lock, only spots are arriving that yo need
to see. That´s the "Emission Type" ... If anybody spots in a "Emission Type" you locked to the TRX
mode all was show´n in CW or Phone e.g. .... If a spotter using the Comment field in a cluster
to tell the world it´s FT8/4 or others it will be show´n in "Spoters Mode". Normally you have
setted up a bandplan for R1, R2, R3 or for the DXCC you live in. If you have a wrong bandplan
it could be possible that "Spotter Mode" was show´n in FT8 if you are have mode on your TX set
to CW.

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
PA1WBU
Novice Class

Post by PA1WBU »

Thinking a bit more about this:

- one could argue that both locking to the mode selected on the trx is useful but also my use case, that is locking the mode purely on log4om cluster
view level.
- so that would give
[ Lock to radio mode ]
[ Lock to selected mode(s) ]

Does this help?
Wilko
PA1WBU
Novice Class

Post by PA1WBU »

kd0zv wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 18:49 Its either/or.

Mode lock or Select Mode.

One method follows radio, other method allows you to manually select mode. They do not work together

The logic is if you are working CW you are not burdened with digital or phone spots. Useful in contest.
I see the need to reduce clutter, no problem there.

I still find it a bit confusing. Renaming the "Mode lock" button to "Sync / lock to radio mode" or some such would help IMHO.

Wilko
PA1WBU
Novice Class

Post by PA1WBU »

DF5WW wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 18:49 Hi Wilko,

the logic is that, if you have set the cluster to Mode lock, only spots are arriving that yo need
to see. That´s the "Emission Type" ... If anybody spots in a "Emission Type" you locked to the TRX
mode all was show´n in CW or Phone e.g. .... If a spotter using the Comment field in a cluster
to tell the world it´s FT8/4 or others it will be show´n in "Spoters Mode". Normally you have
setted up a bandplan for R1, R2, R3 or for the DXCC you live in. If you have a wrong bandplan
it could be possible that "Spotter Mode" was show´n in FT8 if you are have mode on your TX set
to CW.

;) ;)
Well... FT8.. don't go there :? One of the modes I could easily do without. Especially given that
it turns up (not only in Log4OM, mind you) as a PHONE emission type. For me it is Digital not PHONE.
But I guess it is hard to fix that, short of 'blacklisting' the well-known QRGs(?).

besten Dank!
Wilko
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

PA1WBU wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 19:01
Well... FT8.. don't go there :? One of the modes I could easily do without. Especially given that
it turns up (not only in Log4OM, mind you) as a PHONE emission type. For me it is Digital not PHONE.
But I guess it is hard to fix that, short of 'blacklisting' the well-known QRGs(?).

besten Dank!
Wilko
Depending on your needs you might be able to fix a large part of that.

Log4OM uses an XML file as a band plan. It has some frequencies that are FT8 specific at top.

But you can edit your band plan where it might do a better job flagging the modes.
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team