My Location.?

General discussions V2
W3LI
Old Man

My Location.?

Post by W3LI »

While looking at F6 MAIN I noticed that the system did not know where I was when I typed in my call.The little RED X was 39.18 Degrees and 41 Miles to the east of North. I typed in other calls of people I knew and the result was the same, off by a distance of thirty to forty miles. The heading was OK.
I went through the User Manual the 3rd or 4th time while watching Terry's vid on configuration. The only thing I found was a place for the Grid location, mine is FN21gb. I made sure it was correct on the setup and saved.
I typed a bunch of calls in that were out west perpendicular to the line I was on and the positions were real close. Any calls south of my location were off buy 30 to 40 miles because my location is off by 41 mi.
I have manually moved the map as to put my QTH under the RED X but that did satisfy the error.
Any clue as to how to correct the location of my QTH on the map. Tnx. BTW, Happy with everything else That I have tried.
Andy... W3LI
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: My Location.?

Post by KD0ZV »

Andy,

What red X are you talking about?

And just so you know the location is center of your grid square and not actual location. obviously that is not going to equate to 41 miles though.

Below is what I am seeing for your call.

Also note on QRZ your details are user supplied and not the actual grid.

Rich
Attachments
2020-03-12_17-49-33.jpg
2020-03-12_17-49-33.jpg (215.26 KiB) Viewed 4417 times
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
W3LI
Old Man

Post by W3LI »

Rich, yes that is where I am. Now for the reverse situation. I first looked you up on QRZ and got your address. Also it told me that the beam heading would be 278 degrees at 942 miles.
Next I put your call into the box on the log page and came up with 277.78 degrees at 907 mi. That is the 40 Mi difference I am talking about.
To further pin it down I put your physical address into a navigation program I have. It showed me your house from the satellite on NW 71st Pl. Your garage is on the right end of your house, nice BTW.
So you can find me, However I can not find you. No big deal it's just a toy.
Tnx for your reply.
Andy... W3LI
W3LI
Old Man

Post by W3LI »

Rich BTW, the red line stops just NE of Clay Center in the middle of no where.
Andy... W3LI
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

1. Have you checked that your QRZ or HamQTH grid locator is correct, this is whats used in the calculation
2. It will never be completely accurate because the calculation is to the CENTRE of the grid square not your actual address
3. It relies on the accuracy of the data retrieved from the on line lookup like QRZ - If thats wrong the location will be incorrect - GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT
4. The only way to obtain closer accuracy would be to use a very good GPS for ascertaining both the home station and station being worked locations - That isn't going to happen anytime soon
5. The function is just an interesting accessory its not a live or die factor in logging
73 Terry G4POP
W3LI
Old Man

Post by W3LI »

HI Terry, I understand completely what you are saying. I could not believe that the program had me 41 miles NE of my actual location.
Thanks for your input as always.
73"s Andy... W3LI
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

Andy,

I wonder what would happen if yo actually put your grid in QRZ?

I do not understand how it works on their site. I mean I tweaked mine to exactly shack location but it still shows my grid. In your case it does not show your grid or show a map.

But you saw my screenshot of your location so must be pretty close.

Rich
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team