Setting up Virtual Serial Ports

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G0VQY
Advanced Class

Setting up Virtual Serial Ports

Post by G0VQY »

I can't find anywhere in the instructions on how to connect Log4OM to a radio without using a physical cable. I've got one of the new Sun SDR2 DX radios and I can't connect the PC to it physically so I've been using virtual serial ports to connect it to HRD and it's worked really well. I was hoping that this software will do the same.
Penn
G0VQY
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Setting up Virtual Serial Ports

Post by G4POP »

I am guessing the sun uses a Kenwood emulation for the com port do just set up Omnirig to connect to the GPS using that rig emulation and baud rate with the VSP
73 Terry G4POP
G0VQY
Advanced Class

Post by G0VQY »

Thanks very much. Forgive me, I think I might have just asked exactly the same question. Think I must be going senile :-)

To answer your question, yes it does use the Kenwood configurations. I'm just a little bit unsure whereabouts in the software you enter in the information for the virtual com ports
Penn
G0VQY
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G0VQY wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 12:44 Thanks very much. Forgive me, I think I might have just asked exactly the same question. Think I must be going senile :-)

To answer your question, yes it does use the Kenwood configurations. I'm just a little bit unsure whereabouts in the software you enter in the information for the virtual com ports
Download and install Omnirig then follow the instructions in our user guide
73 Terry G4POP
G0VQY
Advanced Class

Post by G0VQY »

I think I'll need to read the instructions you provide. The cat is very familiar and I am getting my radio to connect to Log4OM as the correct frequency and mode appear in the logbook and I did actually manage to change the frequency from the Interface. However, the logbook keeps losing connection with the radio for some reason. I'm sure there's a setting that I've got wrong.
Penn
G0VQY
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Sounds like your trying to access the radio via CAT control by more than 1 program
73 Terry G4POP
G0VQY
Advanced Class

Post by G0VQY »

Not sure. Can you give me the link to the instructions on how to set up using virtual serial ports and Omnirig
Penn
G0VQY
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G0VQY wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 18:27 Not sure. Can you give me the link to the instructions on how to set up using virtual serial ports and Omnirig
I think the best thing you can do is call me on Skype at genes1 otherwise this thread will be endless

Would be nice if you added a signature to your posts so that we know your name
73 Terry G4POP
G0VQY
Advanced Class

Post by G0VQY »

Okay Terry, I'll send you a request and then we can arrange to chat. I won't do it tonight because I've got other things I need to be getting on with. It may be easier if you tell you when it's convenient for you to talk because I'm free anytime really. Mind you, I think a lot of us are going to be stuck at home for quite a long time.
Penn
G0VQY
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Mid morning is generally good for me
73 Terry G4POP