Program Starts but No Display

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
w0ls
Advanced Class

Program Starts but No Display

Post by w0ls »

This morning when I started my computer Log4OM did not come up. Task manager shows that it is running but there is no display. Other programs run as normal. I can kill it in task manager but all attempts to bring it up fail. I have never seen this happen before. Does anyone have an idea as to how to proceed? Running latest version 1 software and Windows 10.

Thanks and 73's
Harry
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Program Starts but No Display

Post by G4POP »

Try a reinstall
73 Terry G4POP
w0ls
Advanced Class

Post by w0ls »

Thanks Terry...a reinstall fixed the problem. Yesterday I installed a video conferencing program called "Zoom". I suspect it changed some system attributes that messed things up. Thanks again...

73's
Harry
W0LS
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Team

I also had this problem today - the first ever "fail to start" I ever had with log4OM in 7 years of use.

I use V 1.41.1 - always up to date, on Windows 10 x64 v1909. The program is starts (runs as admin) but no display. Task manager shows it is running but with about 30% CPU usage which on my system is very high. I killed it with task manager and retried a few times without success, even after a full reboot.

A reinstall fixed the problem but I would like to know why. I run a tight ship here and most of the time I know what Windows, my antivirus, firewall and other software is doing at any given point in time and I havent made any updates or new installs of any kind for 2 or 3 weeks.

Attaching the main log file which clearly shows where the startup process is stalling, but I dont know how to interpret this myself. Would appreciate your thoughts. I can see other similar threads elsewhere on this forum solved the same way by reinstallation but that is never my first option as it leaves the root cause unresolved.

Thanks

Tony YO3IPR
Attachments
Log4OM_log_20200512.txt
(37.13 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I think you need to look at what else has been happening on your PC because the log file does not tell us anything of use.

Most times its due to a corrupted file in the user folder, you could try moving them all to another folder and reintroducing them one at a time, eventually you will find the corrupted file.

This however wont indicate why! and that you will never know, other than suspecting external some action that might have caused it.

Best not to waste your time and just re-install
73 Terry G4POP
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

OK, Thanks Terry.

As I said, I run a very tight ship here and there is little that happens on my PC that escapes my attention. The log file clearly indicates where the startup was stalling, I would have expected a clue from that, but I'll take your word that it doesn't help much if at all. Note that the attached log file includes all of todays events, from the failed startups right the way though to the successful startup after reinstalling.

I'll have a look to see if anything has crept into the user folder that shouldn't be there. Perhaps backup copies of country files which I have to make a few manual edits to (subject of older thread).

It's working now anyway. I'll come back here if it happens again.

73 Tony YO3IPR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

yo3ipr wrote: 12 May 2020, 18:01 The log file clearly indicates where the startup was stalling, I would have expected a clue from that, but I'll take your word that it doesn't help much if at all.
Had it been in trace or debug mode there might have been more info but clearly you are not forewarned of these occurrences so don't have the opportunity to change mode!
73 Terry G4POP