User Guide obserevation

ah6fx
Advanced Class

User Guide obserevation

Post by ah6fx »

Terry,

Whenever I go to Help > User Guide … the 17/02/2020 user guide appears. There was a March update plus the 30/04/2020 was just released. Perhaps there is a way to auto-update this link so that with every user guide update, the Help > User Guide link updates. [[I would rather access the user guide by clicking a link instead of downloading another document.]]

Thanks
Danny
AH6FX/W4 - Virginia
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: User Guide obserevation

Post by NN7D »

That option will always open the latest version that you have downloaded - but not necessarily the latest available. To open the later available, click on the next lower menu choice - Download and open Latest, or word to those affect.

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
ah6fx
Advanced Class

Post by ah6fx »

Doug,

Respectfully, you missed the point. Please reread my posting.

Regards,
Danny
AH6FX/W4 - Virginia, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ah6fx wrote: 03 May 2020, 01:02 Terry,

Whenever I go to Help > User Guide … the 17/02/2020 user guide appears. There was a March update plus the 30/04/2020 was just released. Perhaps there is a way to auto-update this link so that with every user guide update, the Help > User Guide link updates. [[I would rather access the user guide by clicking a link instead of downloading another document.]]

Thanks
Danny
AH6FX/W4 - Virginia
Danny
I may be missing something here, if so forgive me!

In the help/user guide menu there is a selection to force a refresh of the user guide, if you like it's a link, this automatically updates your resident user guide and opens it for you.

Perhaps you mean something different when you say you prefer a link? Please explain where you want it and exactly what you expect such a link to do.
73 Terry G4POP
ah6fx
Advanced Class

Post by ah6fx »

Terry -- thanks - the "force update" got the May 2d version.

Danny
AH6FX/W4 - Virginia, USA
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

ah6fx wrote: 12 May 2020, 01:18 Terry -- thanks - the "force update" got the May 2d version.

Danny
AH6FX/W4 - Virginia, USA
Danny,

Make it a habit to check now and then for the continually-being-updated User Guide.

https://forum.log4om.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5117
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
ah6fx
Advanced Class

Post by ah6fx »

Nolan,

My point in my initial query was ... I know how to update the user's guide ... BUT if we user's go to "Help" and click on "User Guide" we should view the most current and up-to-date user guide without having to update anything. Otherwise those users seeking help will likely view an outdated user's guide and may not see answers to their questions - because most people seeking Help > User Guide naturally look for "user guide" and do not read all the sub-menu selections. That was the case with several forum issues around the time I made the original posting.

On the other hand; I may understand your comment because ... I am guessing ... selecting Help > User Guide does not take us to the Log4OM ver2 website to view an online manual ... RATHER every user like me initially downloads the user guide to our hard drive and it is occasionally updated as users selected the Help > User Guide > English (force update) option which updates our hard drive version. Just a guess.

By the way, I opened my user manual and scanned the user manual and there is no mention of the need to update the user manual. Upon Log4OM2 start-up; perhaps there could be a pop-up message to all Log4OM2 users announcing a new user manual and suggesting we update it. I know we can refer to the Log2OM web page, but that is not the point.

In closing -- great job by the Log4OM ver 1 & 2 teams. It is a fabulous program and the forum support is second to none.

Regards,
Danny
AH6FX/W4 - Virginia, USA
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

ah6fx wrote: 16 May 2020, 13:54 Nolan,

My point in my initial query was ... I know how to update the user's guide ... BUT if we user's go to "Help" and click on "User Guide" we should view the most current and up-to-date user guide without having to update anything. Otherwise those users seeking help will likely view an outdated user's guide and may not see answers to their questions - because most people seeking Help > User Guide naturally look for "user guide" and do not read all the sub-menu selections. That was the case with several forum issues around the time I made the original posting.

On the other hand; I may understand your comment because ... I am guessing ... selecting Help > User Guide does not take us to the Log4OM ver2 website to view an online manual ... RATHER every user like me initially downloads the user guide to our hard drive and it is occasionally updated as users selected the Help > User Guide > English (force update) option which updates our hard drive version. Just a guess.

By the way, I opened my user manual and scanned the user manual and there is no mention of the need to update the user manual. Upon Log4OM2 start-up; perhaps there could be a pop-up message to all Log4OM2 users announcing a new user manual and suggesting we update it. I know we can refer to the Log2OM web page, but that is not the point.

In closing -- great job by the Log4OM ver 1 & 2 teams. It is a fabulous program and the forum support is second to none.

Regards,
Danny
AH6FX/W4 - Virginia, USA
Danny,

Tnx for the input ... well received.

We've had a number of conversations amongst the Team about various options with respect to the User Guide. Solutions are not always 'cut and dried' or just plain simple. So don't have a solid answer right now.

And then there are the times (has been quite often with all the new items being added to V2) when the UG has been updated multiple times each week or even several times in a given day.

Ergo ... "part" of the responsibility has to also be with you users to keep current as well. It is a shared effort I can assure you.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
ah6fx
Advanced Class

Post by ah6fx »

Nolan,

Understand. Thanks for the response.

Danny
AH6FX/W4