log entry when pressing enter / get LOC & distance from QRZ

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

log entry when pressing enter / get LOC & distance from QRZ

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Danielle & Team

A couple of other suggestions:

1) If I enter a callsign or prefix in the program with the intention of seeing if I have already worked that station or country, but then I mistakenly press enter, a log entry is created. Is it possible to stop the enter key from adding a log entry? or at least to show a confirmation pop up? I realize this may slow the program down for some users but perhaps an optional setting could be made available for this?

2) Can you set the program to get the Locator and distance from QRZ.com? It already gets other details from there and this would be useful too.

Thanks & 73 de Tony YO3IPR / G4IPR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: log entry when pressing enter / get LOC & distance from

Post by G4POP »

It obtains the locator and calculates the distance from either QRZ or HamQTH whichever the user has selected

If no locator is available from these sources it uses the centre of the country for heading and distance above the small cluster but does not add that information to the log because clearly it is not 100% accurate
73 Terry G4POP
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Terry

I am using version 1.16.0.0 and it is set to use QRZ.com as the external source. It gets other details from QRZ but not the locator. I think it used to do so, but it doesn't now. You are right that no locator is added in the log when one was not available but it is saving the distance and bearing to the centre of the country logged. see the attached screen-shot of a test I just did logging my UK call where there is a locator on QRZ.com :

Grid Square IO91xq
Geo Source User supplied
Bearing 302.0° WNW (from YO3IPR)
Distance 1301.1 mi (2093.9 km)

P.S
I am not a QRZ.com subscriber, i.e. I have only a free account. I dont think that should affect the lookups however.

Also, QRZ.com gets more accurate distance info as I have an exact location stored there while LOG4OM works from the centre of my grid square while I am in a corner. It could be useful to allow the distance to be obtained from QRZ.com when a locator is available there, or to allow a more precise location setting in LOG4OM.

Thanks & 73 de Tony YO3IPR / G4IPR
LOG4OM - no locator obtained from QRZ.com.jpg
LOG4OM - no locator obtained from QRZ.com.jpg (210.82 KiB) Viewed 7141 times
Last edited by yo3ipr on 06 Apr 2014, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Tony,

you get only full data from qrz.com if you are a XML subscriber. As free user you don´t got the complete data. You don´t get a locator or a adress from qrz, only the name of the OP. As a "free" Service you can use HamQTH .....
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Juergen

I get the full name and address info from QRZ.com, always did, and I am fairly certain that it used to get locators too, and I have never had a subscription at QRZ.com. I entered my QRZ.com username and password in LOG4OM, without that it doesn't get any info.

When you have time, please can you test it and tell me what you get.

I was think to get a QRZ.com subscription soon. Are you planning to add an option for uploading logs to QRZ.com directly from LOG4OM? As far as I can see this can only be done manually using ADIF files at present.

73 de Tony YO3IPR / G4IPR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Tony
QRZ stooped providing the locator to non paying members three years ago, change to HamQTH to resolve the issue
73 Terry G4POP
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

OK. I guess I was just lucky then. I have only been QRV again since August 2013 and it was providing locators until recently.

I have an account at HAMQTH but it is no substitute for QRZ.com

What about automatic uploads to QRZ.com any plans?

Thanks for your help.

73 Tony
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Also, can anything be done on this point?

1) If I enter a callsign or prefix in the program with the intention of seeing if I have already worked that station or country, but then I mistakenly press enter, a log entry is created. Is it possible to stop the enter key from adding a log entry? or at least to show a confirmation pop up? I realize this may slow the program down for some users but perhaps an optional setting could be made available for this?

I am more than happy with LOG4OM, my suggestions are only aimed at fixing minor issues here and there that could make the program even better, for me at least.

73 de Tony YO3IPR / G4IPR
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Terry

I hope you are right that an XML subscription at QRZ will fix the locator lookup problem. I just signed up for that and it says it is active immediately (confirmed by email), but still no locator info on callsign entry, just the operator name, and address info (under extended and QSL info in the log entry field).

I am wondering if the last program update on LOG4OM could be responsible for this no longer working for me.

73 Tony YO3IPR / G4IPR

P.S
Tested using HAMQTH and that is getting the Locator OK. However, as I said earlier, this is no substitute for QRZ.com and I am not prepared to rely upon it.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

yo3ipr wrote:OK. I guess I was just lucky then. I have only been QRV again since August 2013 and it was providing locators until recently.

I have an account at HAMQTH but it is no substitute for QRZ.com

What about automatic uploads to QRZ.com any plans?

Thanks for your help.

73 Tony
If Fred ever provides a way to upload we will interface with it, I suggest you email Fred Lloyd to add your interest to the hundreds of others Hi
73 Terry G4POP