Recalling minimized windows

V2 error reports
WB4IT
Advanced Class

Recalling minimized windows

Post by WB4IT »

If any window is open and minized, it can't be recalled from the main log window.

Window focus will switch when a minimized window is requested, but it never pops up. Not sure if this is a bug?
Last edited by WB4IT on 11 Feb 2022, 16:40, edited 2 times in total.
WB4IT
Advanced Class

Re: Winkeyer button issue

Post by WB4IT »

I forgot to mention that the telnet cluster window behaves the same way if it is minimized.
WB4IT
Advanced Class

Re: Winkeyer button issue

Post by WB4IT »

Is this a valid issue? It's actually not specific to the Winkeyer button. If you select any item from the main log window that launches another window, e.g. QSL manager, QSO manager, Worked Before, Solar Data, etc. and minimize that window, you cannot get back to it without going to the taskbar or cycling through open windows using ALT-TAB. I keep several Log4OM windows open and minimized for quick access and my taskbar is grouped.

For example, I'd love to be able to click the Winkeyer button on the main log window and have it bring the Winkeyer window back to the foreground. I sometimes need to lower the speed of my keyer quickly if someone responds to my CQ at a slower speed. Another example... sometimes I'll have QSL manager already open and minimized and forget that it's open. I'll go to Utilities / QSL Manager and it doesn't pop up when I select it. I'll wait for a few seconds thinking my computer is slow and then remember that the window is already open, just minimized.

I have workarounds for this, but I would love to see it restore the selected window whether it's closed or open and minimized.
WB4IT
Advanced Class

Re: Recalling minimized windows

Post by WB4IT »

I've edited this thread to more accurately describe the issue.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

If using CW there is no need to use the main UI because the keyer interface is a complete UI in itself, well thats the way it was designed and thats the way I use it!
73 Terry G4POP
WB4IT
Advanced Class

Post by WB4IT »

That's fair regarding the winkeyer window (although there are some things in the main ui that aren't available in the winkeyer window), but all other options that open new windows like QSO/QSL manager, etc have the same issue when trying to restore them from a minimized state.

Not a huge issue, but if it's an easy fix, I'd love to be able to have windows pop back to the foreground when they're open and minimized.

73, Brian
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

WB4IT wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 23:51 If any window is open and minized, it can't be recalled from the main log window.

Window focus will switch when a minimized window is requested, but it never pops up. Not sure if this is a bug?
Hi Brian,

As far as I can tell, this is a normal Window's behavior. In fact, other multi-window or multi-form programs have another behavior which, if you click on the button or menu selection again, after already opening that window, it opens another instance of that window. I have tested this with JTDX and JTAlert and they behave as Log4OM does.

The Window's standard for window management is to use the task bar icon to reopen a minimized window. Why does that not work for you?

Thanks and 73,
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
WB4IT
Advanced Class

Post by WB4IT »

Doug, thanks for the reply. Some comments...
In fact, other multi-window or multi-form programs have another behavior which, if you click on the button or menu selection again, after already opening that window, it opens another instance of that window. I have tested this with JTDX and JTAlert and they behave as Log4OM does.
I think multi-instance is something the developer can restrict. Some programs have options within to allow or disallow launching a second instance. I use several other logging programs in tandem with Log4OM and they do not have the recall issue with minimized windows. I believe this to be a bug because the main window does shift focus and attempt to restore the minimized window, but it doesn't happen.
The Window's standard for window management is to use the task bar icon to reopen a minimized window. Why does that not work for you?
It's one way to manage windows, but there's also ALT-TAB and winkey+TAB as well. Obviously, the taskbar does work for me, and as stated above, I have other workarounds.

Here's why I don't like the taskbar: I keep 4 or 5 Log4OM windows open at all times. If I'm CQing and a station comes back to me at a slower speed, I want to access the Winkeyer settings as quickly as possible to match the other station's speed. If I mouse over to the task bar and hover on Log4OM, I have to look through many windows to find the Winkeyer window. This works, but it's inefficient and slower, especially when there's a Winkeyer button on the main window that could recall it. I don't like using the Winkeyer window for log entry because I use some of the features on the main window that aren't present in the Winkeyer interface. Also, I only have two monitors, so I have to keep many things minimized.

I spent some time yesterday digging into the problem and I stumbled across something. I created a script in Auto Hot Key to work around this - https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/AutoHotkey.htm. I am using AHK to assign Windows macro keys to the various Log4OM windows. For example:
Ctrl-M = Main window
Ctrl-K = Winkeyer

At first, it did not work. It shifted focus just like Log4OM, but did not restore the window. I had to elevate privileges (Run as administrator) on Auto Hot Key and that fixed it. Now, I can press Ctrl-K from any window (even my browser) and Log4OM winkeyer pops up (even when minimized). I can also open someone's QRZ page in my browser and quickly go back to the main log Window using Ctrl-M. This is working great for me and makes it easy to navigate through all the various Log4OM window that I have open. I've created macro keys for everything.

The short answer is that the taskbar is inefficient, and I don't think Log4OM is behaving as intended, or it's an oversight. I'm not asking for help or support on the issue, I'm just pointing it out to help make Log4OM better, but if the official answer is that this is working as intended, I'm fine with that.

73, Brian