v.2.24.0.0 first impressions

General discussions V2
HB9BRJ
Old Man

v.2.24.0.0 first impressions

Post by HB9BRJ »

Thanks for providing this new version. I just upgraded my portable version (located on SSD).

Be patient when launching it for the first time:
The usual Microsoft warning came immediately, but then it took about a minute until the GUI came up. Nothing listed in the task manager process list. Probably Microsoft executed a virus check before actually launching the program. Subsequent Log4OM starts are OK again.

As for the functionality: Everything I tested so far was working flawlessly!

Markus HB9BRJ
K0HB
Old Man

Re: v.2.24.0.0 first impressions

Post by K0HB »

Didn't have any problems with my installation. Working well.

But BEWARE that importing from QRZ.COM will take a VERY long time if you have a significant number of matches in QRZ. Mine has been running (on a very capable computer) for 12 hours, and the current records coming in are 19 months old, so I have quite a long wait still ahead.

Log4OM doesn't like big logs very well. :oops:
DE Hans, KØHB
--
"Just a boy and his radio"
--
Superstition Trails ----> http://OldSlowHans.com
K0HB
Old Man

Post by K0HB »

Follow up:

I had 70,000+ QSL's awaiting download from QRZ.COM.

The download evolution took just over 17 hours.
DE Hans, KØHB
--
"Just a boy and his radio"
--
Superstition Trails ----> http://OldSlowHans.com
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

the "biggest" problem is QRZ.COM store QSO without saving SECONDS, while Log4OM (and almost any other log) stores them.
That means the search must be made not with an exact match but in a TIME RANGE (and, by experience, QSO are saved sometime in a range of 2-3 minutes, all with ZERO seconds), so the search is not single but "in a range" inside the log.
This degrade performances, as the database cannot perform a search using indexes in an efficient way.

Another problem is the MODE saved in QRZ. A RTTY QSO is saved (sometimes) as "ASCI", so the application is trying to find a correspondence between the ASCI saved in the MODE field (ASCI is a SUB MODE of the RTTY MODE) and the correct mode (in ADIF a RTTY qso should be saved as MODE=RTTY, SUBMODE=ASCI, while QRZ.COM exports it at "MODE=ASCI")

That's a quite "tailor made" checking of the confirmations, to maximize matches, and a bit expensive in terms of timings.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH