After updating Log4OM 2.18 to 2.25 OmniRig is blocked (by Log4OM) for other applications

sp9odu
Novice Class

After updating Log4OM 2.18 to 2.25 OmniRig is blocked (by Log4OM) for other applications

Post by sp9odu »

Hi, A few days ago I upgraded Log4OM from version 2.18 to 2.25 (configuration files remain from the previous version) Since then I have a problem with OmniRig, if Log4OM is launched first connects to OmniRig reads and controls the radio fine BUT blocks access to the next programon (Jtdx, Sdr console, etc) to OmniRig and they can neither read nor control the radio. If Jtdx or Sdr Console are started as the first - and Log4OM is started as the second or third, then it cannot connect to OmniRig and when you press "Connect" it freezes for a moment and the OmniRig window appears on the screen, and not connected to Omni (this was not the case before, of course ).
All other programs such as Jtdx, SdrConsole, Wsjtx can run simultaneously reading and controlling the Radio via OmniRig as before, as long as Log4OM version 2.25 is not running.
What happened after the upgrade?
I am ready to downgrade to 2.18 so that everything works as before, i.e. all programs (including Log4OM) can run simultaneously
73 - Jacek - SP9ODU
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: After updating Log4OM 2.18 to 2.25 OmniRig is blocked (by Log4OM) for other applications

Post by DF5WW »

If you like to run more softwares (including Log4OM) all these softwares must be Run as administrator. If not you don´t have
the multithreading active in Omnirig and the port is blocked for more than one program.

Download the V2.25 installation file, youse right mouse key and hit "Install as Administrator". In that case yo can be shure that L4O
ist running with administrative privileges every time.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
sp9odu
Novice Class

Re: After updating Log4OM 2.18 to 2.25 OmniRig is blocked (by Log4OM) for other applications

Post by sp9odu »

Thanks for your reply, it works as it should after your advice. Log4OM was installed and run with Administrator privileges, but other programs without such high privileges. They are now run as admin and can use OmniRig data. This is new to me because in the older version none of these programs required it and it worked OK.

Thank you very much for the answer that solved the problem.

73' SP9ODU
73 - Jacek - SP9ODU
PE5TT
Advanced Class

Post by PE5TT »

I see the advice over and over again on this forum, but i run Log4OM for years now with Omnirig with multiple pieces of software simultaneous (bandmaster, HDSDR, antennaswtich and more) and NEVER had any of these run as administrator.

So the advice that they NEED to run in administrator mode is not true, i may solve your problem but there is more to the story. Why do some people run as administrator and others not ? Why does it work fine with some people and then from one day to another not anymore ? There must be some smart people on this forum that can explain this ?

(ps. programs that need administrator rights to function in 2023 are poorly written)
73 Marcel de PE5TT www.daverveld.eu
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

PE5TT wrote:programs that need administrator rights to function in 2023 are poorly written)

Thank for your opinion
73 Terry G4POP
PE5TT
Advanced Class

Post by PE5TT »

G4POP wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 08:54
PE5TT wrote:programs that need administrator rights to function in 2023 are poorly written)

Thank for your opinion
You disagree ?
73 Marcel de PE5TT www.daverveld.eu
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

This is needed that Omnirig can work with multiple softwares at the same time. It´s not needed that Log4OM is working properly.
But if you need the CAT support in each used software the "Run as Administrator" is a must have in combination with Omnirig. Any
idea for a CAT software that not needs this for the multithreading ? If yes your ideas please.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
sp9odu
Novice Class

Post by sp9odu »

Before upgrading Log4OM (up to v 2.25.0.0), I never needed to run Omni-Rig or any of its data-using applications in Administrator mode, and everything worked flawlessly for years (including the previous Log4OM).
Even now, when I don't run new Log4om, all programs run without such high Admin privileges, multitasking works fine. The situation changes when I want to include a new Log4OM in a working group, then in order for all of them to be able to use CAT, they must be started and Administrator permissions must be set.
As I wrote, with version 2.18 it was not needed.
73 - Jacek - SP9ODU
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

It was needed all the time when Omnirig shoud work with multiple threads. Also in Log4OM V1 it was mentioned in each
user manual. Maybe you have installed as administrator and you forgot it when updating to 2.25 but it was needed all
the versions before too.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

sp9odu wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 13:02 As I wrote, with version 2.18 it was not needed.
I don't remember anything changed on omnirig so far, since 2.18 version.
Actual technology used by Omnirig (RPC) is coming from some years ago, and works well. Unfortunately once a RPC connection is established, the RPC server doesn't allow any other connection (at least not from Log4OM and similar applications), except if it's started as administrator.
Minimum requirements for omnirig to work with multiple applications is to run omnirig as admin.

Log4OM doesn't need that if you start omnirig by yourself as admin.
If you want Log4Om start omnirig on behalf of you, then you should provide Log4OM admin rights in order to be allowed to start omnirig as admin.
Or keep omnirig as single thread working with Log4OM only.

About the "poorly written"... omnirig was born before windows became so annoying with permissions, and so far is one of the best CAT applications i know.
By the way, Omnirig sources are free for your reference so let's show us how to write a "well written application in 2023" :-)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH