Win11 Backup Folder selection seems broken

KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Win11 Backup Folder selection seems broken

Post by KI5IO »

ac5aa wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 16:36 Hi Nolan,
Yes, it has all the standard folders similar to Win10 with the exception that it insisted on loading all on OneDrive. That shouldn't matter because there is still the duplicate folder on the system, and I have changed mine to default to the system drive with backup to the OneDrive. Still I don't understand why in Log4OM it's pegged onto "Desktop" and, other than being able to create a subfolder there, doesn't allow any other navigation to other system locations. It almost looks hardcoded, but it can't be because no one else seems to have the problem. I think for the mean time I'm going to create a desktop subfolder for log backups so I don't seem them all over the desktop. It's not a huge deal, but not optimum for log backups.
Duane,

Did you originally install the main version of Log4OM or the "portable" version? As I recall the 'portable' version all gets loaded into one folder or thumbdrive so an OM can use whilst out and about as opposed to being in one's qth/home location.

The main version should put all the proper data/folders in place as applicable to the Windows O/S. Meaning the bulk of the system is placed under the Roaming / Log4OM2 folder. A portion of the APP is also put under Program Files (x86) / IW3HMH ...

You can click on Help / Open Config Folder and your Windows File Explorer APP will open the main directory under the Roaming folder. I would do that just to verify that the APP is set up at that location ... assuming you installed the main Log4OM as opposed to the 'portable' version.

I've read many threads here on the Forum where there seems to always be issues when there is a "OneDrive" involved. Not sure what it is, but it always seems to create problems.

I was working with an OM in Pennsylvania recently having a myriad of issues and there was a OneDrive involved. I had him take the OneDrive out of the equation and do a basic, from the git-go installation and let the main Log4OM install in the default locations. That effort worked FB for him and having removed OneDrive seemed to have also been his issue.

I use Dropbox for one of my backup locations and have never had any issues with that APP. I use the free version as my laptop count falls within that 'free' requirement.

You might want to just verify your current installation location so you can be sure where you main files are location/installed. Then go from there ... maybe first temporarily remove OneDrive and then see if Log4OM will then recognize your C Drive and your 'Documents' folder.

I've added two images below. One shows the many folders I created for Log4OM2 under "Documents" and the other shows the default arrangement of folders when the main (not 'portable') version of Log4OM2 is installed.

Attachments
ki5io-folder-roaming.JPG
ki5io-folder-roaming.JPG (174.2 KiB) Viewed 241 times
ki5io-folder-directory.JPG
ki5io-folder-directory.JPG (128.64 KiB) Viewed 241 times
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
ve3wej
Old Man

Post by ve3wej »

your desktop is on OneDrive. major headache for me. I have to backup everything on OneDrive, then tell w11 to not use OneDrive ( which deletes all MY copies, the recover from the backup folder I create back to original folders

that is where your difficulty lies, I beleive
ac5aa
Old Man

Post by ac5aa »

Sorry for the delay - I've had to do some antenna replacement work after the big ice storm here (no big antennas, but roof work, finding parts, etc.)

Thanks, Nolan, but I have never installed the portable version, only the standard one.

I suspect VE3WEJ's solution may be the one that would work for me. Ever since I moved to the new machine, Win 11 insisted on making OneDrive primary. I thought I had told it, once it sync'ed with my HD, to move the primary copy (or however they call it) to the HD and NOT to the OneDrive copy. I'm afraid I'm going to have to do the backup/recovery task you suggested to try to fix that, but I'm going to do a lot of reading before I start. As an aside, I hate the arrogance of MS and Apple when they arbitrarily make these decisions for everyone and don't ask. Hope I didn't "trigger" anyone with that remark - ha, ha!
73, Duane AC5AA