V2 error reports
W4EBB
Advanced Class

2.27.1 Not working

Post by W4EBB »

See attachment of my log.
The bottom yellow highlight was before update to 2.27.1 - All is well
The top yellow highlight is after backing down to 2.26.0 - All seems well
In the middle are three contacts. Each one is double posted, missing name field, and not doing log updates to EQSL and QRZ.

I am on latest Windows 10, latest WSJT-X , and JtAlert 2.6.5

Charlie
W4EBB
Attachments
doubleentry2.PNG
doubleentry2.PNG (38.59 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: 2.27.1 Not working

Post by KI5IO »

Charlie,

When you installed V 2.27.1.0 (you noted all was working well??) Did you note all the settings/port values for your existing UDP Inbound Connections? Did you then fully "delete" them? Did you then create all new UDP Inbound Connections?

Have you looked at this from Terry? https://forum.log4om.com/viewtopic.php?p=43147#p43147

If you have done all of that, I'll be brave and then ask why you went back to an earlier release?
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
W4EBB
Advanced Class

Post by W4EBB »

Nolan:
As you correctly assumed I did not do the udp stuff. I did read the notes before downloading 2.27.1 but I found nothing that the notes said HAD to be done BEFORE or AFTER installing. So I went ahead.

I will look at Terry's post and figure it out.

Charlie
W4EBB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Think your logging with wsjt and jtalert, hence the dupes
73 Terry G4POP
4z1tl
Novice Class

Post by 4z1tl »

From the 23-03-23 manual page 12, one wouldn't expect any problems in updating (no need to delete & change UDP settings):

"...Updating from a previous version of Log4OM Version 2 ... is a simple matter of running the .exe installer to overwrite the current installation...".

Sure. But here we are, with some annoying issues and faced with the "WARNING" which wasn't emphasized enough in the release notes.

Sad.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

4z1tl wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 08:04 From the 23-03-23 manual page 12, one wouldn't expect any problems in updating (no need to delete & change UDP settings):

"...Updating from a previous version of Log4OM Version 2 ... is a simple matter of running the .exe installer to overwrite the current installation...".

Sure. But here we are, with some annoying issues and faced with the "WARNING" which wasn't emphasized enough in the release notes.

Sad.

I think your taking that user guide statement out of context!

The user guide describes the normal operation of Log4OM whereas the need for special action by the user with this release was because we had to make a dramatic change to the handling of UDP messages due to forces ourtside our control.

Unlike normal updates, like changes of on-line logbook URL's or modifications and updates to ADIF data etc. this update could not be achieved automatically within Log4OM and resulted in the users having to delete and replace their UDP connections, a mater of moments to do, there was no other way it could be implemented.

The situation where users are instructed to take some special actions or precautions is very unusual and I can remember only one occassion about 5 years ago when it has happened before and it is certainly not an item to be included in the user guide.

As for not empasising the warning enough in the release notes I have to agree with you about that :( but as soon as I realised this I posted warning notices all over social media and on this forum, plus our team have been advising and assisting users who experienced problems.

Perhaps some lattitude should be allowed when everything is not done exactly as you and I would like it? and allowances made for the small and dedicated team that provide you with free software, regular updates and support.
73 Terry G4POP
W4EBB
Advanced Class

Post by W4EBB »

OK I have got 2.27.1 "working".

But here is my concern - I want LOG4OM to work just like it was working before 2.27.1.

What UDP settings should I have set? was gridsquares being updated before? Was CQ values being updated before? Was data being updated from external sources?

I seemed to like everything that was happening before. I had two UDP entries for JTALERT to which I added UPLOAD_QSO to for release 2.27.1. What else do I need, if anything, to get back to the way things were happening before!

Thanks,
Charlie
W4EBB
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

Charlie,

You only need one incoming connection to make JTalert log. Just use the preset at the bottom and make sure the port you choose matches your JT program. Use all the default settings. The incoming string has the grid info so you really don't want Log4OM changing that.

I have been testing this for last few weeks and the results are very accurate. The setup process is so simple we assume there is more to it. If you choose to tweak the parameters of your incoming connection you can but I would not recommend you do so.

Rich
Kd0zv
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
W4EBB
Advanced Class

Post by W4EBB »

Rich:
Thank you for your help.

I deleted the JT_Message and the ADIF_message. I then used the JtAlert preset except I changed the port from 2234 to 2235 to match up with JtAlert.

Tested and looks good.

Thanks again,
Charlie
W4EBB
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

You are welcome Charlie.

Lele really made the process easier with this update and once we get past it being new I think everyone will like it much better

Rich
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team