Empty Log File

WX7V
Novice Class

Empty Log File

Post by WX7V »

Sometimes when I restart Log4OMv2 my log file is empty. All QSOs are gone. When I look at my databases the log I've been using has been truncated and the database file size is 0kb. Anyone know what causes this and how can I avoid it. I normally do a backup log before exiting.

Tonight I forgot and lost the last 5 QSOs from this evening. I've hesitated in submitting this post since upgrading to the current release 2.28.0.0 The uploads were sent to QRZ and LoTW so I can recover the data but its annoying at best.

Thanks Chris de WX7V
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Empty Log File

Post by DF5WW »

Did you have tried running Log4OM with administator privileges ? Looks like your Database file is stored in a folder where
Log4OM not have the rights to write. That means yo see the new contacts as long as the database is open in the memory
but on program close it not will be saved.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WX7V wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 03:36 Sometimes when I restart Log4OMv2 my log file is empty. All QSOs are gone. When I look at my databases the log I've been using has been truncated and the database file size is 0kb. Anyone know what causes this and how can I avoid it. I normally do a backup log before exiting.

Tonight I forgot and lost the last 5 QSOs from this evening. I've hesitated in submitting this post since upgrading to the current release 2.28.0.0 The uploads were sent to QRZ and LoTW so I can recover the data but its annoying at best.

Thanks Chris de WX7V
This is usually a windows permissions issue especially after a windows update, try a different location for your log file, like Google drive or Dropbox, some people have issues with Onedrive so I dont reccommend it.

Why dont you have auto backup working then you cant 'forget' to backup?
73 Terry G4POP
WX7V
Novice Class

Post by WX7V »

DF5WW- My log is stored on Google Drive. I suspect a bug is creating a new SQLITE database with the old file name. Here's more detail. I have a little more than 9k QSOs in my log (SQLITE database) and have been running Log4OM without admin privileges. The database is about 17MB is size when all QSOs are loaded (or reloaded from ADIF file I had exported as I did last night). I restart Log4OM daily for weeks and everything works as expected. Once in a while on a restart I get the database configuration popup (open/test/new) window with my old log file prepopulated. I pick OPEN, SAVE & Apply. Normally it works. Sometimes there are no QSOs and the database file link is 0KB.

For the past week I've been using the database with file name 'WX7V_20230729_163650_backup.sqlite'. Last night on restart (Log4OM was sluggish during the OMISS 40M NET) I got the database configuration pop. 'WX7V_20230729_163650_backup.sqlite' was defined, I clicked open, save and apply. I had no QSOs. I went to google drive, the file size was 0KB, and when I click on manage versions there are no previous versions. So I'm back to thinking Log4OM is creating a new SQLITE database with the old file name?

G4POP - I do have the database backups [Not ADIF] (SQLITE database only) option set in the configuration. Maybe the location of the backups is the problem? There are backups for sure, but they didn't have the last 5 QSOs from last night (I did not do a manual backup, as I was in a hurry to continue logging).

See attached screen shots.

73, Chris de WX7V.
Attachments
Gdrive-File-History-Screenshot 2023-08-08 055051.jpg
Gdrive-File-History-Screenshot 2023-08-08 055051.jpg (26.23 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Log4OM-SQLITE Database Files Screenshot 2023-08-08 054529.jpg
Log4OM-SQLITE Database Files Screenshot 2023-08-08 054529.jpg (161.78 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Log4OM-BackUp-Screenshot 2023-08-08 053237.jpg
Log4OM-BackUp-Screenshot 2023-08-08 053237.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4POP - I do have the database backups [Not ADIF] (SQLITE database only) option set in the configuration. Maybe the location of the backups is the problem? There are backups for sure, but they didn't have the last 5 QSOs from last night (I did not do a manual backup, as I was in a hurry to continue logging).
Chris,

First a couple of points....

1. I would set your backup rotation to at least 10, so that even with multiple restarts your unlikely to overwrite them all.

2. I would set a secondary ADIF backup to another location like the documents folder on the hard drive, again with at least 10 rotations and save to zip file.

I am puzzled about this but I dont really have an explanation although a couple of guys had similar issues some time back.

Sometimes the database can have some corrupt info causing problems so my first suggestion would be as follows.

1. Export a full ADIF backup from the file menu - Dont check the two check boxes for standard and selected fields.

2. Create a new database with a totally different name without spaces like NewlogbookWX7V.sqlite

3. Import the ADIF file created in step 1 above.

Try that set up for a couple of weeks and report back the results please
73 Terry G4POP
WX7V
Novice Class

Post by WX7V »

Thanks for the tips. I've made the changes above. New database is simply Log4WX7V.SQLite.

I'll let you know and hopefully the clean DB and ADIF import solves the problem.

73 Chris de WX7V
WX7V
Novice Class

Post by WX7V »

Terry G4POP - Database has been behaving no issues since I created a new DB and imported the ADIF. Tnx agn for the support!

PS - I've also running updated the 2.28.04 BETA (I normally upgrade when prompted).

Chris de WX7V.