Unfreeze Start/End times after manual entry?

G4GTP
Novice Class

Unfreeze Start/End times after manual entry?

Post by G4GTP »

I guess I am perhaps not using Log4OM in the optimum way with auto-start time recording, but I tend to enter Start/End times, or at least edit them, for a QSO manually then Save the QSO.

When I do this the Start/End times remain frozen/locked even though all the other fields have cleared. I would have thought that logic would dictate that these are cleared/unfrozen when the QSO is saved and the other fields cleared?

So two questions:

(1) Why do the Star/End times not clear/unfreeze when QSO is saved after manual entry?

(2) If there is a good reason why they don't (I can't think of one but I'm probably missing something), is there a keyboard shortcut to clear them both simultaneously (or individually) rather than the chore of having to click on each padlock individually? I tend to operate with keyboard shortcuts on any software if ever I can as it's so much quicker.

Searched forum and combed the manual but cannot seem to see any answer to either question.

David
G4GTP
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Unfreeze Start/End times after manual entry?

Post by KI5IO »

David,

I can't provide answers to your questions, but I'm sure either Terry or Lele will have more detail on such for you.

When I'm working my weekly rag-chews I also unlock the start/stop times as I want to capture the length/duration of those QSOs. Like you, I have to remember to lock the start/stop times after those QSOs.

One question I have for you is: Once you have completed your rag chew and tap to save that QSO in your log ... does all of the data in the Main UI completely clear out to get ready for your next Q?

I've found that (in many cases) once I tap 'save' after a rag-chew that is usually 20-45 minutes in length not all the data for that QSO gets wiped out of the Main UI.

I'm still trouble-shooting that anomaly.

So ... wondering if you have experienced similar?
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4GTP
Novice Class

Post by G4GTP »

Hi Nolan

To be honest I don't have that many rag chew contacts at the moment due to lack of time so I don't have experience of entering a start time and then a long break before adding the end time and saving.

My experience, as a relatively new user, is that yes, when pressing Save, the data is fully cleared wating for the next entry, except as I say the Start/End times remain locked with the times of the saved contact.

David
G4GTP
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

G4GTP wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 17:18 Hi Nolan

To be honest I don't have that many rag chew contacts at the moment due to lack of time so I don't have experience of entering a start time and then a long break before adding the end time and saving.

My experience, as a relatively new user, is that yes, when pressing Save, the data is fully cleared wating for the next entry, except as I say the Start/End times remain locked with the times of the saved contact.

David
G4GTP
David,

Tnx for your input. Should you experience what I noted above pls add to this thread if you can.

As for unlocking the start/stop time padlocks for occasional QSOs, etc.. I'm not sure why you would take the time to do that for the non-rag-chew QSOs.

I've never done that for all my other contacts that I make as I chase POTA, SOTA, SKCC, SST, MST, etc., etc.. Even if I make the now and then QSOs with a new OM for a state or grid-square I just let the time log when I save the QSO.

My efforts to log the QSO 'duration' ties into calls I have with many Code Buddies I work with as we track that time for some marathon counting.

I'm sure I'm missing something as to why you are making such changes for your QSOs.
Plano, TX
G4GTP
Novice Class

Post by G4GTP »

KI5IO wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 17:29
As for unlocking the start/stop time padlocks for occasional QSOs, etc.. I'm not sure why you would take the time to do that for the non-rag-chew QSOs.

I'm sure I'm missing something as to why you are making such changes for your QSOs.
The usual situation is that in the heat of the moment I forget to log the start of the QSO because I'm using an SDR so if SDR program has the screen focus I might not have time to switch back to Log4OM at start of QSO, so I am entering the QSO details "after the event" so to speak.

It's just the logic I am questioning. I just don't understand why, on saving a manually edited QSO, the times don't clear the lock at the moment the QSO is saved. I just don't understand why the one thing I would want left over, after clearing all the other fields, is the old start/stop times of the previous saved QSO!

David
G4GTP
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

David,

I've never used an SDR rig. Terry has one so will likely add some data points when he has time.

As for the toggle on/off options for the start/stop time padlocks that answer will have to come from Lele or possibly Terry.

I use a mature K3 and still push buttons and twist knobs and leave Log4OM up on the screen during my on-air events.

I've never been interested in a screen presence to adjust my K3.

Just old-fashioned for sure ... ;)
Plano, TX
G4GTP
Novice Class

Post by G4GTP »

KI5IO wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 18:29 I use a mature K3 and still push buttons and twist knobs and leave Log4OM up on the screen during my on-air events.
I've never been interested in a screen presence to adjust my K3.

Just old-fashioned for sure ... ;)
NP Nolan. My latest love is my Hermes Lite 2 SDR, lowish price fun and quite astonishing performance versus price (well, actually pretty much at any price!), but I also run good old Drake C Line so I fully understand where you are coming from.

David
G4GTP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I use a Hermes Lite 2+ and a SunSDR2 DX (Also have a couple of legesy Icom and Yaesu radios which dont get used anymore)

The Sun has an ecoder 2 attached which I use with my left hand while my right hand pounds the key and types into Log4OM - Focus is on Log4OM and the Sun EESDR 3 software is controlled by the ecoder 2 without need to have the EESDR software in focus.

The Hermes using Thetis needs control by the mouse, or if you have a Midi controller attached, by that, not sure what the focus situation is when using a Midi device. - You have the same Midi support in SDRRC

The lock buttons possition is remembered until a program restart by design for those people that do manual entries but dont want to use Lazy Log - This by user request.

My process is that Log4OM stops the start time clock when the cursor leaves the call sign field on Tab and the end time is recorded when I hit the return button on the keyboard or click the save icon - The start and end times are recorded on saving - No locks required.
73 Terry G4POP
G4GTP
Novice Class

Post by G4GTP »

G4POP wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 20:26 The lock buttons position is remembered until a program restart by design for those people that do manual entries but don't want to use Lazy Log - This by user request.

My process is that Log4OM stops the start time clock when the cursor leaves the call sign field on Tab and the end time is recorded when I hit the return button on the keyboard or click the save icon - The start and end times are recorded on saving - No locks required.
Hi Terry. Many thanks for response.

I can understand why someone might want times frozen if entering a long list of manual entries, but not when amending live QSOs. Yes, I understand the normal entry mode. I guess the answer is to get used to that, but I sometimes want to "pre-enter" info for someone while I'm sitting waiting to call them without setting the start time when leaving the callsign box. I agree that perhaps that's counterintuitive but people find all sorts of ways that they prefer to use software!

Just to give maximum flexibility, I wonder what's the possibility of allowing that feature to be optional? So would be done with a tick box in the settings, something along the lines of "unfreeze start/end times for manual save", then people could have full flexibility of which behaviour they prefer?

David
G4GTP