Log4OM Call Sign Lookup Behavior when changing frequency

General discussions V2
SA6TUT
Novice Class

Re: Log4OM Call Sign Lookup Behavior when changing frequency

Post by SA6TUT »

G4POP wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 17:33 Are you running all programs using omnirig and omnirig to "run as an administrator""
Both Log4OM and WSJT-X are set to use OmniRig.
GridTracker is unaware of the rig as far as i know.

Omni-Rig is bundled with WSJT-X and will be started automatically by WSJT-X. I assume WSJT-X handles that it's started up with the correct user privileges. No known issues between WSJT-X, OmniRig and the actual rig connected by a COM port set in OmniRig only.

Log4OM tracks the rigs frequency etc perfectly fine which it wouldn't if I had chosen the com port directly (it would be exclusively opened by OmniRig).
SA6TUT
Novice Class

Re: Log4OM Call Sign Lookup Behavior when changing frequency

Post by SA6TUT »

I would speculate that the reason for this behavior lies in the setup where GridTracker forwards all UDP messages received from WSJT-X on port 2238, and Log4OM is configured to listen on the same port for these messages. When Log4OM receives a broadcast message, it likely triggers a call sign lookup based on the information it receives. However, WSJT-X, acting through GridTracker, doesn't have awareness of whether any applications are actively listening for these broadcasts. Consequently, it continues to send out broadcasts whenever a transmission occurs or there is a change in frequency.

WSJT-X probably assumes that it's up to the subscribers (which it doesn't know exist) to utilize the UDP information for lookups as needed. In my setup, it appears that Log4OM believes a new call sign lookup is required even if it had performed one for the exact same call sign just a few seconds prior.

It's important to note that the above explanation is my interpretation and speculation; I cannot confirm it with certainty.