No CAT control after rig change

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G8AJM
Advanced Class

No CAT control after rig change

Post by G8AJM »

I have been using Log4OM with an FT-897D very successfully for a while running on a W7 PC. I have just acquired an FT-1000MP MkV and having just changed the CAT lead and rig, I no longer seem to have any CAT control between the rig and the log software. I can't find any setup fields where I need to declare which rig I'm using or to tell the software which COM port is in use for the serial /USB converter. I have no idea if it's necessary to enter that data but I feel I should be telling the software somehow that it's a different rig.

As must be obvious, I'm not that comfortable with configuration stuff, but after the instant success of the original installation I suppose I was simply expecting another simple install.

I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of where I should be looking for the problem.

Thanks
Chris G8AJM
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: No CAT control after rig change

Post by G4POP »

Chris,
For the FT1000 I suggest that you use Omnirig, if you have not already installed it then download it and install.

I say this because my Mk5 would never connect with any software using Hamlib!

Having installed Omnirig go to the Log4om options cat and cluster tab and select Omnirig then in Omnirig select the Mk5 from the rig list, set the com port and baud rate and you should be in bussiness.

Any problems give me a shout and I will talk you through it on Skype
73 Terry G4POP
G8AJM
Advanced Class

Post by G8AJM »

Hi Terry many thanks for your prompt response.

I have switched from Hamlib to OMNIRig
Set baudrate to 4800 as the MkV only supports that speed
COM port set to 3 as shown on Device Manager

However, rig list is not showing the MkV so I have had to set it to FT-1000MP

Still nothing doing and have gone through the combinations of rig on first then launch Log4OM etc.

Grateful for any thoughts.

Chris
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Chris,
Do a factory reset of the rig, my one occasionally scrambled it's brains and needed resetting
73 Terry G4POP
G8AJM
Advanced Class

Post by G8AJM »

Well that seems to have flushed everything (probably a good idea when buying a used rig) but no dice on the CAT situation.

The Omnirig configurations sre holding ok, i.e. they seem to have saved OK, also log4om config staying put. It all looks like it should connect.

USB-Serial Prolific setup all looks good, the same as it was with the FT-897 and the FT-100 cable is brand new 9-pin D-type female each end.

I'll take a look at the FT forum tomorrow.

I certainly appreciate you help Terry. I think I'll sleep on it and perhaps I'll take a look at the FT forum tomorrow to see if it's a known wrinkle.

Chris
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Chris,
It has to be a baud rate ot settings mismatch if you are certain that you are using the correct com port

If you have Teamviewer installed I can take a look or alternatively speak to you on Skype?
73 Terry G4POP
G8AJM
Advanced Class

Post by G8AJM »

Terry

Problem found; they gave me a non-modem lead instead of a straight connection!

CAT now working, many thanks for your help.

Cheers
Chris G8AJM
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Chris,
I bet it was Maplin, so many times I have heard that they provided Nul modem cables instead of straight!

I am pleased it's fixed
73 Terry G4POP