HamLib or OmniRig?

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
K2VT
Novice Class

HamLib or OmniRig?

Post by K2VT »

I would really like to have LOG4OM connected with my radio so everything that can be integrated together to a sure this interact together correctly. But I am not sure what the difference means when having to choice HamLib or OminRig as need to make the computer and radio work together. Did I miss what the difference is between the two in the manual?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: HamLib or OmniRig?

Post by G4POP »

Omnirig is easier to install and setup and generally I have found it better with Icom radios. It also has the advantage of multi-threading if you want to use DX Atlas, CW Skimmer, Bandmaster, Ionoprobe etc using the same com port to connect to the radio.

Hamlib works for some people better but it all a matter of personal preference.
73 Terry G4POP
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

Omnirig... as the saying go's "its the only way to fly" :-)
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Devinitive Omnirig .... Never got my old IC-735 to work with Hamlib but no problems with Omnirig .... :D :D
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
K2VT
Novice Class

Post by K2VT »

Thank you for all your your advice. I am currently trying to set up my clubs LOG4OM and download HamLib but maybe we should switch to OmniRig. The club has a Yaesu 897d. However I have a Icom IC 7200 that I have not tried either program but it sounds like OmniRig again is the way I should try.
K2VT
Novice Class

Post by K2VT »

Since I have HamLib already downloaded on the clubs computer that has LOG4OM. How is the best way to switch over to OmniRig without messing things up. This may be a basic question but I am not the best with computers. (You can ask my friends..LOL)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

K2VT wrote:Since I have HamLib already downloaded on the clubs computer that has LOG4OM. How is the best way to switch over to OmniRig without messing things up. This may be a basic question but I am not the best with computers. (You can ask my friends..LOL)

Page 26 & 27 of our user guide!

However......

Just download and install Omnirig

Then in the Log4OM options/Cat & Cluster tab select "Omnirig" - Click the floppy disk save icon bottom right corner of the window

In the Log4OM toolbar select the icon that looks like a headset

In the resulting window shown below enter the settings for Rig 1 (Perhaps use this for the Icom) and Rig 2 (Possibly use this for the Yaesu)

Click OK - Job done

Attachments
Screenshot 2014-11-07 15.22.27.png
Screenshot 2014-11-07 15.22.27.png (11.79 KiB) Viewed 6536 times
73 Terry G4POP