Frequency from FLDigi

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
K2RAS
Novice Class

Frequency from FLDigi

Post by K2RAS »

I am running a Flex6500 and FLDigi with Omnirig and SmartSDR/SmartCat. FLDigi seems to be passing to Log4OM the 'base' passband frequency from the radio, rather than the actual selected frequency in the passband. Is this the way the program is supposed to work or do I have something setup incorrectly? If this is the case then every QSO logged would have the incorrect frequency unless it was manually changed.

Thanks, Ron
K2RAS
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Frequency from FLDigi

Post by G4POP »

Are you using the XML-RPC connection between FLDigi and Log4om?

Exactly what is connected to what?

Like in my situation

VSP pair com 3 to com 9
Rig connected to VSP pair com 3
Omnirig connected to VSP Pair com 9
Log4om connects via Omnirig
FLDigi connects to Log4om via XML-RPC
SDR- Radio running RFSpace SDR-IP connected to Omnirig com 9 for synchronisation to rig

We need explicit information to be able to assist you
73 Terry G4POP
K2RAS
Novice Class

Post by K2RAS »

I am using the FlexRadio SmartSDR program, along with SmartSDR CAT and OmniRig (SmartSDR CAT generates the serial ports similarly to VSP). The SDR, FLDigi, and Log4OM are correctly passing the VFO 'base' frequency between themselves.

All the software in question is running under Win7 in a Parallels 10.1.1 VM on an iMac running Yosemite. I have the Windows firewall turned off. Norton Antivirus is installed, the Norton Firewall is not installed. I will provide all the port information, but a couple of basic questions first to make sure I am setting things up correctly.

1. Should clicking different spots on the FLDigi passband waterfall change the QSO frequency in Log4OM to the actual receive frequency?
2. FLDigi seems to allow EITHER Rigcat or XML-RPC connections, not both. I am presently using Rigcat to connect to the Flex radio. Is XML-RPC required?
3. I was able to go into Log4OM Communicator and turn all the lights green on the Interface tab. I have not been able to get the IN/OUT Services to start on the Settings/Services tab. Are the IN/OUT services required to connect Log4OM back to FLDigi?

Thanks, Ron
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

In FLDigi disable all cat connections but enable XML-RPC

Instructions for setting up FLDigi XML-RPC with Log4om can be found in the user guide
73 Terry G4POP
K2RAS
Novice Class

Post by K2RAS »

Ok, I followed all of the directions in the manual, however the IN/OUT services still will not start. Also, would you please clarify my original question, should clicking different spots on the FLDigi passband waterfall change the QSO frequency in Log4OM to the actual receive frequency?

Thanks, Ron
K2RAS
Novice Class

Post by K2RAS »

Ok, I was able fix the services issue, did not have the icon clicked to run as administrator. Still not passing the actual receive frequency in the passband.

Thanks, Ron
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

clarify my original question, should clicking different spots on the FLDigi passband waterfall change the QSO frequency in Log4OM to the actual receive frequency?
No the frequency is not followed by the Log4om display its one way traffic

However click a cluster spot in Log4om or change the radio frequency and FLDigi follows that selection but you will see from my next remark that this is not required for logging the QSO

However if you click a frequency in FLDigi and then have a QSO on that frequency when you log the QSO the correct frequency will be logged not the pass band frequency

e.g

Passband frequency of rig is set to 14070.000
You click on the FLDigi waterfall at 14071.500
The Log4om display does not change
When you log the QSO that you had on 14071.500 the frequency recorded is 14071.500
73 Terry G4POP
K2RAS
Novice Class

Post by K2RAS »

I finally came to the same conclusion. If the QSO is entered into the FLDigi log, then it is automatically transferred into the Log4OM log with the actual QSO frequency. II was under the mistaken assumption that the log entry should be initiated from Log4OM. This actually makes sense, although it is a little complicated in that the log is initiated in FLDigi, automatically passed into Log4OM, and additional reference info such as country, DXCC... apparently looked up and added to the log in Log4OM. Is this how the system is designed?

Thanks, Ron
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

You can do the lookup in FLdigi before the QSO is logged

Unfortunately we have no control over how the Fldigi developers design their interface, we can only use the facility they provide. The XML-RPC protocol sends predefined set of data fields to us and we log that data.
73 Terry G4POP