QSL label design

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
hb9xcl
Novice Class

QSL label design

Post by hb9xcl »

Hi guys

I just went through the documentation of the new version and couldn't find any hint about the possibility to design my own qsl labels...is it correct that this has still not been implemented?

If I'm right - then I'd kindly like to ask for this feature again ;)

Thanks & 73s
Kurt, HB9XCL
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: QSL label design

Post by G4POP »

Hi Kurt
Having checked your old posts it is a card designer that you refer to and no this is not implemented at this time.
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Card print needs some thougths.
As example what should be the priority? edit label format or print directly on cards? :)

I need to have some thoughts on that. Please keep in mind that there are good softwares (free, like hrdlabel) that connects to Log4OM services and get logs...

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
hb9xcl
Novice Class

Post by hb9xcl »

IW3HMH wrote:Card print needs some thougths.
As example what should be the priority? edit label format or print directly on cards? :)

I need to have some thoughts on that. Please keep in mind that there are good softwares (free, like hrdlabel) that connects to Log4OM services and get logs...

Daniele
Hi Daniele, hi Terry

personally I'd be fine with a label designer, if it works :) because then I can either define 1 big label which has the size of my QSL-card, put the right fields at the right place...and print directly on the card - or I can print them on my favorite labels, whatever size they are.

I understand that there are other priorities for you guys. Just wanted to give you again this hint..the label printing solution you implemented so far is brilliant, it's just not finished for me, as long as it isn't possible to define my own layouts.

I know the other soft's like HRDlabel or BV etc but it's a PIA to use such external tools, if there is a nearly finished Log4OM-internal tool for that.

Anyway thanks a lot for your work guys!

73s
Kurt, HB9XCL
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Kurt, actually you can already define a label of the size of your QSL. The drawback is that log4om decides where to print informations, keeping actual layout.

We will work on that too, but probably will not be made everything in a single release. There are a big list of things to bring forward with this one :)

Daniele
hb9xcl
Novice Class

Post by hb9xcl »

IW3HMH wrote:Hi Kurt, actually you can already define a label of the size of your QSL. The drawback is that log4om decides where to print informations, keeping actual layout.
Hi Daniele,
that's exactly what I meant when I wrote my suggestion some month ago..instead of hardcoding the position of the fields, write the X/Y positions of them into a config file. That's it. No further development needed, we don't need a "graphical" editor. Usually users don't change their label or card layout very often..so it wouldn't harm anybody if these settings had to be done first. You can still define your actual layout in this file as default, and everybody who's happy with it wouldn't have to touch it at all.

Thanks for checking...
Bye 73s
Kurt HB9XCL
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Kurt,
yes, bringing out the coordinates from the code can be an idea, but coordinates are "dynamically set" in the code, based on the label size, the font size and other parameters like columns and rows in your label sheet.
I can set another way to print labels, using coordinates. The major "drawback" is to have an easy user interface, but this can be skipped in a first time

Daniele
hb9xcl
Novice Class

Post by hb9xcl »

Good morning Daniele,
ok, I see.. so why not having a radiobutton to choose between your default (dynamic) layout and a custom defined layout, with x/y coordinates read from file?

Just an idea again...

Thanks, 73s
Kurt
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

because behind the button you need to have the code :)
I will work on soon.

Daniele
hb9xcl
Novice Class

Post by hb9xcl »

Hi Daniele,
IW3HMH wrote:because behind the button you need to have the code :)
I know :D

73s
Kurt, HB9XCL (SAP Application Engineer)