Installed new version - no QSOs

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Installed new version - no QSOs

Post by IW3HMH »

suspects confirmed:
your log file was here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\IW3HMH\Log4OM\n5inp.SQLite and was uninstalled with main log4om uninstallation.

I will add a check to prevent that in future.

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

IW3HMH wrote:suspects confirmed:
your log file was here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\IW3HMH\Log4OM\n5inp.SQLite and was uninstalled with main log4om uninstallation.

I will add a check to prevent that in future.

Daniele

Must have changed it because that's not the default directory, which I believe is "Documents" ?
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

I didn't change it. Mucking around with the directory that a database file is in is the last thing I would be doing around here, trust me. I wouldn't even know where to go to change it if I had wanted to. :(
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

G4POP wrote: Must have changed it because that's not the default directory, which I believe is "Documents" ?
Wait a minute - what? I thought it was supposed to be in /Users/something/something/roaming/...

Guys you're confusing me. Where is it supposed to be once and for all?
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

It goes where you tell it to store when you set up a new database.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Your actual logbook file (the sqlite file) would normally go in your documents folder or on a cloud folder like Dropbox
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

I'm lost guys - sorry. I don't know what's going on, and I've upgraded Log4OM several times before this upgrade and I can assure you 100% I never moved any database files around - why would I do that? Why this time did it nuke my database and not the other times? Why would it even allow a person to move it into a directory that wold be deleted on an upgrade? Isn't it supposed to be saving all the config files and databases in a safe directory anyway?

Ugh.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

There are 3 "areas" where Log4OM saves informations:

1) c:\program files\IW3HMH\.......
This is the PROGRAM FOLDER. The executable program file and DLL goes here. You normally should not put anything in this folder

2) SETTINGS FOLDER (the roaming one)
This is where Log4OM keeps your configuration and external sources, user config, preferences and so on.

3) WHERE YOU PLACE YOUR LOGFILE
This is where you place your logfile. This could be another disk, a network share, a dropbox synced folder, a USB key... This is "free" because you can have different needs and different places where you need to connect to your logfile (and roaming is not good for that).

You can place your database in ROAMING folder if you want, or where you prefer! Obviously if you place your log in the trashbin folder it's at risk. The other folder where it's at risk is the TEMP folder for obvious reasons.
Third place is where PROGRAM EXECUTABLE are stored, because everything will be wiped on uninstall.

I have now programmed Log4OM to warn you when you CREATE a new database in this folder (but you can force that if you want, at your own risk)

How was your file originally created here? ... I don't know...

lele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

OK thanks for the info Daniele.I just wanted to make sure I didn't make any more mistakes, but in the future I'll just upgrade without uninstalling and shouldn't have any more issues.
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

I just upgraded to the latest version and again - all my QSOs were gone after the program re-started. I did NOT uninstall before installing. I imported the last backup ADIF file and there all there now, but this keeps happening to me. I wish I could find out why. :?