Default QSL Message not applied to imported ADIF entries

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
KK6DJC
Novice Class

Default QSL Message not applied to imported ADIF entries

Post by KK6DJC »

It is possible to set a default QSL message string in the Log4OM Settings->QSL and Labels->QSL message text box. If a value is entered here (for example, "Enjoyed the QSO, hope to connect again soon") then it will be automatically entered when a new log entry is made. This all works fine and is easy to verify, e.g., enter a callsign in the Callsign text box, click Add to add the entry to the database, then double-click the new entry shown in the Recent QSO tab. You will see the default QSL message string under the QSL Information tab.

However, if you import a log entry using the File->Import ADIF feature, then the default QSL message is not used in the new entry. In my specific case I am creating a log entry using FLDigi, then exporting it from there as an adif file and importing it into Log4OM. I have attached a sample (slightly edited to change the callsign and name values) adif file that shows the issue. You can see that there is no value in the file that might be interpreted as a QSL message, that is, I would expect that the default value would apply as one is not being explicitly specified in the imported adif file.

To reproduce this, do the following:
1) Make sure that there is a default QSL message entered in the Log4OM settings -> QSL and Labels -> QSL message area
2) For extra credit, verify that the default QSL message is used in a log entry added directly from Log4OM as discussed in the first paragraph.
3) Do a File -> Import ADIF, then import the sample ADIF file which is attached.
4) Inspect the entered log entry, note that the QSL Message value on the QSL Information tab will be blank.
5) Note that there is nothing in the ADIF file that specifies a QSL message value, so the expected (or at least intuitive) behavior would be to use the default value specified in the Log4OM settings.

Note that I had to change the file extension of the uploaded file as "adi" was not a valid extension. It should be named "export.adi" and not "export.adi.txt".

Not a huge problem, just something I noticed and wanted to bring to your attention.
Attachments
export.adi.txt
(400 Bytes) Downloaded 180 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Default QSL Message not applied to imported ADIF entries

Post by G4POP »

Have you tried the correct FLdigi integration as detailed in our user guide with the XML/RPC connection?

If so are you having this issue with that set up?

We don't add anything to imported ADIF files during the normal ADIF import process on purpose
73 Terry G4POP
KK6DJC
Novice Class

Post by KK6DJC »

No, I took the more manual approach of exporting the FLDigi log entries and importing them into Log4OM in order to maintain more control over the process and to prevent having to run Log4OM with Administrator privileges to support the web service interface. Thanks for the information and suggestion, I may experiment with this to see what the capabilities are.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

You can easily update a bunch of qso using our massive update features.
Setting the qso message on import is easy, but will soon drive to a "why not power"? Followed by several other requests :-)
The fastest way is to use the massive update.
I'm experimenting with custom certificates, maybe one day administrator needs could be bypassed
Lele iw3hmh
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH