Cluster F9 - the last spot wins

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Cluster F9 - the last spot wins

Post by G4POP »

dk2lo wrote:Good idea! I never heard before about VSP. Is this a software (perhaps virtual serial port ???) or a hardware? Could you send me a link?
Virtual serial port emulator, I use the Eterlogic one available for download here

http://www.eterlogic.com/Downloads.html
73 Terry G4POP
dk2lo
Old Man

Post by dk2lo »

Thank you Terry!

looks very interesting. I will give it a try in moderate time.
73 Olaf DK2LO
VK7CW
Advanced Class

Post by VK7CW »

Hi Olaf,

It appears that you seem to be having the same problem that I have with the cluster. I posted the following suggestion previously in this forum:
My second suggestion is regarding the cluster. If a station is spotted more than once, only the latest spot is shown, and the information from all previous spots is shown in the Other Info tab. Now I can appreciate that some users might like this feature. Personally, I like to read each spot and see them as they come in. Also the way I have my windows set up I have to scroll across to the Other Info tab and then hold the cursor over it to see the information, which is a bit annoying. Is there any way in future versions that this feature can be turned on and off so users that like it can still access it and users who do not like it can turn it off so all spots are shown.
Personally I would like to see each and every spot that comes in on the cluster, but I was informed that this problem is not being addressed.

73 de Steve VK7CW
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Steve,
reason is not "we are not so kind to address an issue on cluster".
This way it's a "deliberate choice" to have a simple and reliable cluster, with all informations in a single point.

If a station is spotted 10 times, everytime with different informations, having a 300 row cluster is almost unuseable.
We actually "group" spot by band, grouping also all informations coming up from old spot for the same callsign. That way you can see on top only "active" cluster reports, keeping all informations in a single point, instead of wandering on the cluster list searching for previous spot to check activation codes or other informations.

We set this cluster by grouping calls on the same band (same call on different bands is kept separated), now i'm checking how to work with same call in the same band, but in different band plan regions.

Daniele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
VK7CW
Advanced Class

Post by VK7CW »

Hi Daniele,

Thanks for the reply.

I fully understand that you have made it that way as a deliberate choice and that most people probably like it better that way and do not want to see each and every spot.

However, for me, I personally prefer to see every spot.

I only suggested if it was possible to have a feature with some sort of switch, or preference in the cluster settings, where a user can choose whether he wants the spots grouped or whether he can see each and every spot.

That way it would be a personal choice.

Thanks again,

73 de Steve VK7CW
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

I will check in the code. If it's "easy and fast" i'll work on :)

lele
VK7CW
Advanced Class

Post by VK7CW »

Hi Daniele,

That would be great.

Many thanks

73 de Steve VK7CW
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

but i still don't understand what is the added value of this...
I'm about to add this function, but i will be really glad to know what is the advantage of this kind of approach, that will make your cluster potentially very long and full of dupes :)
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

I neither see any advantage. In fact, I like it the way it is.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
dk2lo
Old Man

Post by dk2lo »

Hi Daniele,

I would be happy to keep the last spots with different modes (same call, same band). So I dont loose a modepoint when stations are working different modes on the same band simultaneously which really happens with the big ones as I pointed out already.

Is this option possible?
73 Olaf DK2LO