Cluster F9 - the last spot wins

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Cluster F9 - the last spot wins

Post by IW3HMH »

Mode can be an interesting addition, and doesn't remove anything from actual. If you use mode filters you will get real stations on the mode that interest you, not overwritten/removed if the station is spotted a second time in another mode. If you don't select any filter you could have the same call twice, as like as the call is operating on 2 different bands.

with previous system a spot on 20m CW will appear on cluster
another spot for the same call on PHONE on 20m removed the previous spot.
Now you will have both, and filters will show CW and PHONE with 2 different frequencies, if it happens (and probably it's really rare, so don't care about)

Finally the "classic cluster" will be an opt-in function, for lovers :)

i'm now checking a suitable amount of spot that can be shown on cluster, to avoid overloading the system (no Group anymore).
Apart the 60 minute life from last spot, the "show all spot" mode will create an huge number of spot, so i'm evaluating how many of them keep online... 300?

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
VK7CW
Advanced Class

Post by VK7CW »

I'm about to add this function, but i will be really glad to know what is the advantage of this kind of approach, that will make your cluster potentially very long and full of dupes :)
Daniele I really appreciate you adding this function and I hope it is not too hard to implement. I guess it is a personal choice and it depends on how an individual uses the cluster. A lot of the time I will only have the cluster set for one band and nearly always only in CW. In that case my cluster is still not long nor congested. If I am chasing a DX station I like to have as much information as possible and I find that I can gather a lot of information from each and every post, and there is a LOT of information I can gleen from these posts. I am not going to bore you with the all the details however, for me it is a DISADVANTAGE not to see every spot.
I neither see any advantage. In fact, I like it the way it is.
I am very glad that it works for you the way it is and I don't have a problem with that, however we all have different needs which is why I simply asked for a setting to turn it on or off.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

VK7CW wrote:If I am chasing a DX station I like to have as much information as possible and I find that I can gather a lot of information from each and every post, and there is a LOT of information I can gleen from these posts. I am not going to bore you with the all the details however, for me it is a DISADVANTAGE not to see every spot.
This was the point :)
You can see ALL SPOT INFORMATIONS, all MERGED in the single spot you're seeing.
If you right click on the SPOT you will see, combined in a single place in a POP-UP message box, ALL informations about ALL SPOTS for the same call, with indication of SPOTTER, TIME and NOTE without need to look into previous spot searching for something more.

Anyway i've added an option in the next release ;)

Daniele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

IW3HMH wrote:
VK7CW wrote:If I am chasing a DX station I like to have as much information as possible and I find that I can gather a lot of information from each and every post, and there is a LOT of information I can gleen from these posts. I am not going to bore you with the all the details however, for me it is a DISADVANTAGE not to see every spot.
This was the point :)
You can see ALL SPOT INFORMATIONS, all MERGED in the single spot you're seeing.
If you right click on the SPOT you will see, combined in a single place in a POP-UP message box, ALL informations about ALL SPOTS for the same call, with indication of SPOTTER, TIME and NOTE without need to look into previous spot searching for something more.

Anyway i've added an option in the next release ;)

Daniele IW3HMH
Hope that you have not screwed up the original system there are several thousand users that prefer it our original way :D
73 Terry G4POP
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

Amen!
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

There is another situation which causes a spot to "disappear". The solution would be to see "all" spots. Let me explain. I frequently select on the Cluster filter option "NA" (North America) on the third tab. This filter causes only reports from spotters in North America to appear on the cluster. This is a very handy filter when Europe is in daylight, but North American skip is marginal. So what happens is a spot will appear from a NA spotter. Then 10 seconds later that spot disappears! This had me wondering for awhile, until I realized that what was causing that spot to disappear was another spot of that same DX station but from a spotter NOT in NA came on the cluster. But because the spotter was NOT in North America I could not see it. Therefore, I too would like to see an option to see "all" spots, regardless of how many duplicates there are, and then let me do the filtering.

Thanks!

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
dk2lo
Old Man

Post by dk2lo »

I realized some time ago the same behaviour as Doug describes. Therefore I had to switch off the Spotter filter in custom.

Hi Terry,
how do you know that: "there are several thousand users that prefer it our original way"?

I think the users would not like the original way if they would really understand what happens and that spots can disappear.

Daniele, thank you for considering some changes in this part of the program in future releases.
73 Olaf DK2LO
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Olaf,
If they did not like it we would have many more request for this change, as you are aware dissatisfied users will let us know.
73 Terry G4POP
VK7CW
Advanced Class

Post by VK7CW »

Wow I have really stirred up a hornets nest on this subject.
Hope that you have not screwed up the original system there are several thousand users that prefer it our original way :D
I never asked for the way it is now to be changed I only simply asked for a setting or switch to turn it off.
This is the whole point, I don't want to right click on spots to see if there is further information I would prefer to have the information in front of me.

I also have had spots disappear as Doug describes. If there is a setting to turn it on and off there should be no problems and everyone will be happy :D
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

If there is a setting to turn it on and off there should be no problems and everyone will be happy :D
Be happy its just been tested and its in the next release - Options/CAT & Cluster menu
73 Terry G4POP