Database question

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G4DWV
Old Man

Database question

Post by G4DWV »

This question involves merging database files from two instances of Log4OM.

My main PC suffers with badly with the RF in the shack and until I get it sorted out, I will have to use a laptop. I want to keep my main PC as the master PC and merge my laptop database with that. I do not need simultaneous access which would involve MySQL.

When I import my laptop database 1) does the name of the database matter - so can they be the same on both PCs? I will likely give them different names 2) as I know nothing about databases, does an import overwrite existing data? I assume not but I just had to ask.

Mni tnx,

Guy
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Database question

Post by G4POP »

Guy,
The best thing for you is to do as I do, use Dropbox then both PC's will be synchronised using the same database

Full details in the Log4om user guide
73 Terry G4POP
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

Hi Terry,

Thanks for that suggestion. I have printed out the manual and look forward to reading it from cover to cover, seriously.

Would the importing method work too?

The reason I am asking is that as I am getting used to modern ham radio I am trying out many programs, many of which have their own logging facility. I have settled on using Log4OM and would like just one 'master' log to reside on my main PC, so importing logs would be very handy.

Your help is much appreciated.

Guy
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

That's the whole point Guy

The master log resides on all of your computers and in the cloud so yo have max security and total synchronisation without any import issues
73 Terry G4POP