Separate database for different operators

General discussions about Log4OM features
K2VT
Novice Class

Separate database for different operators

Post by K2VT »

This question was been brought up in my club discussion with a few members about LOG4OM because in the manual it explains that there could be multiple data bases.

I know when I traveled to ARRL Headquarters and operated at the W1AW. I was informed that way they can tell who the operator was and (I think) they said they would let me know if anyone sent a QSL card back that I was the operator. That was the way they did it.

Should each member have their own data base for LOG4OM, when they operate using the clubs call sign? My thinking is that when someone operates with the club call sign they just need to go to “SETTINGS” and input their name and call sign as operators. That way we would know who made the contact by looking at the “RESENT QSO (F8)” under operator. But other members feel that having their own data base would be better.

What do people in the forum think?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Separate database for different operators

Post by G4POP »

You can do it either way but in your situation I think it best to change the operator in the settings.

You can sort, search and filter by the operator and also operative dates if the operator wants an ADIF file to take away with him.

However the facility is there to do it whichever way you want!
73 Terry G4POP
yt9tp
Old Man

Re: Separate database for different operators

Post by yt9tp »

Actually, Log4Om is not quite suitable for such use. It seems to be targeted for single operators that work from fixed locations and with the same call sign.

I have similar problem: I sometimes I use sole call sign, and sometimes suffixed with /P or /QRP regarding of mode of operation. At first I used single profile and edited settings when needed. Very soon I realized that won't work as it happens that I forget to edit settings and I end up with wrong data in log which i cannot even notice as it is not displayed anywhere except if I customize log view.

I decided to switch to different profiles, as that allows me to name each profile by specific call sign, so I at least have some chance to notice error, as profile name is displayed in windows caption. this also has it's own drawbacks, as for portable operation I have to change locator and QTH settings and there is no sense to create separate propfile for each So I again end up with requirement to dig through settings to change that info, and with no user frienly option to be able to see that settings while entering QSO.

You are actually in better situation as you only have to change operator not call sign, so at least you won't have trouble when sending logs to LOTW and other services.

My advice is to go with profiles. Operators would easily see if Log34Om is switched to right operator and the only trouble (but not insignificant) would be that they have to restart application each time they need to change profile (maybe there is an option to create several desktop shortcuts so each operator can start Log4OM using his shortcut, thus forcing it's own profile on start).

I hope we will get some options to see and edit such frequently changed configuration options on main screen allowing us to be able to see them all the time and edit when needed without requirement to dig through settings.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs