Change in Focus - on clicking contact

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
KA4CDN
Old Man

Change in focus - Mode

Post by KA4CDN »

Not sure if this is by design or a bug but the following is really annoying ...

When I drop down the Mode list box and change the selection often the drop down closes and the focus changes to the RST drop down control. I do not think this is standard or expected GUI operation.

For example, if I currently have SSB selected in the Mode control, I click to drop down the list and press C to get back up the long list to prepare to select CW. Well the first C entry is selected for me, the droplist closes and the focus moves to the RST field. I have to re-open the Mode droplist and arrow down to CW. Sometime arrowing up and down the list is OK (the list stays open) but very often a move on the list causes the close and focus to move as described.

As I said, I don't think the developer should assume which field I want to go to next and move my focus.

Thanks for the consideration.
Mike

PS - Still love Log4OM despite my posts today. Wish it were not in .NET so it weren't such a resource hog but oh well. Job well done developers! Thank you.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Change in Focus - on clicking contact

Post by NN7D »

Hi gang,

So I have been using Country Status under Statistics and Awards a bit lately and have found something which is not a big deal, but it would make things a bit easier to use with a little change. When you click on a country, the country name is highlighted, and the contacts from that country are displayed. All is cool. But if you now click on one of the contact records, the highlighting goes away from the country, as focus has shifted to the contact record. Not a big problem if you have all your country prefixes memorized, or you ARE NOT working down the list of countries, and you were not spending a lot of time working with contact records before your return to select the next country in the list. So I am getting old, and I forget exactly which country I was on, and when I have finished with the contact records, there is no way to tell easily where you were in the country list?

Cure: One of two ways. One way would be to keep the highlighting on the country even though focus has shifted to the contact record. I don't know how hard that would be with the objects being used. Another way would be do list the Country name above the list of contacts in the margin below the "LOTW NOT CONFIRMED" legand.

Example - after clicking on the country - Country name is highlighted:
CountryStatusCountryHighlighted.jpg
CountryStatusCountryHighlighted.jpg (105.99 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
Then when you click on a contact record to open the record, there is no way to tell which country you are on...
CountryStatusCountryLost.jpg
CountryStatusCountryLost.jpg (108.24 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
Hope that makes sense! Thanks!

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Change in focus - Mode

Post by IW3HMH »

KA4CDN wrote:For example, if I currently have SSB selected in the Mode control, I click to drop down the list and press C to get back up the long list to prepare to select CW. Well the first C entry is selected for me, the droplist closes and the focus moves to the RST field. I have to re-open the Mode droplist and arrow down to CW. Sometime arrowing up and down the list is OK (the list stays open) but very often a move on the list causes the close and focus to move as described.
Hi, when you change mode, the RST field will be reconfigured to show values suitable for the mode you selected (RS, RST, dB)
This is why focus changes. I'll check for a workaround for that...

lele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Change in Focus - on clicking contact

Post by IW3HMH »

W7DRM wrote: Hope that makes sense! Thanks!
Doug - W7DRM
yes, it make sense.
Work is actually on V2, but i should find a bit of time to work on that too.
VK7XX
Old Man

Re: Change in focus - Mode

Post by VK7XX »

KA4CDN wrote:Not sure if this is by design or a bug but the following is really annoying ...

When I drop down the Mode list box and change the selection often the drop down closes and the focus changes to the RST drop down control. I do not think this is standard or expected GUI operation.

<some removed for brevity>.
I am with Mike on the 'annoying' part here... well, mildly annoying :-) ... I use the JT65 mode a lot and frequently have to lock in that mode.... On my puta it works like this:

I click the lock alongside the mode drop down. I then click the mode down arrow to get the list of modes and I type a J. The box gets populated with JT44 and the list immediately closes and the focus switches to the Sent box (not the sent drop down box).

If I then go back to the Mode drop down and open the list, and now I can type as many J's as I like, (or other letters) and this time, the drop down list does not auto close. So, if the actions of this Mode box could be changed so the the first use behaves exactly the same as it does the second use, it would be far less annoying.

John
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Change in Focus - on clicking contact

Post by IW3HMH »

too much complicated... we should fix that...