Program setup will not accept my callsign

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
K3DC
Novice Class

Program setup will not accept my callsign

Post by K3DC »

I just downloaded and installed this program and PDF instruction file. When I try to set up my initial configuration, the CALLSIGN field stays RED, and when I try to save the configuration it says I have not entered a valid callsign. :evil: Since the callsign I'm using is the one the FCC assigned to me, I'm at an impasse. Please advise me how to convince this program that I'm ME! This is the first time I've tried to use a logging program- in over 40 years I've always used paper logbooks.

I know my callsign is valid; I'm a Life Member of the ARRL, an ARRL accredited Volunteer Examiner and an ARRL certified instructor.

I also would like to know how to enter data from my old logbooks- data that goes back for decades. I'd like to be able to submit those old logs to LoTW and eQSL- I know I have to get them into some data format, and was hoping this program would do that for me. Is there some intermediate step I can use for that, such as an Excel file?

In one word, H E L P !
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Program setup will not accept my callsign

Post by G4POP »

K3DC wrote:I just downloaded and installed this program and PDF instruction file. When I try to set up my initial configuration, the CALLSIGN field stays RED, and when I try to save the configuration it says I have not entered a valid callsign. :evil: Since the callsign I'm using is the one the FCC assigned to me, I'm at an impasse. Please advise me how to convince this program that I'm ME! This is the first time I've tried to use a logging program- in over 40 years I've always used paper logbooksI know my callsign is valid; I'm a Life Member of the ARRL, an ARRL accredited Volunteer Examiner and an ARRL certified instructor.
I have just set up a new version of Log4OM using your call sign K3DC and it all worked without issue

1. Did you also enter your QRA locator
2. Did you provide a configuration name
3. Did you select your country and region correctly
4. Did you click the floppy disk save icon or did you try saving by clicking the small red cross at the top right hand corner of the window
5. Did you install the program to the default directories that Log4om selects or did you change these locations

Basic information

1. What operating system are you using (Win XP, 7, 8 or 10)
2. Are you installing the normal version of Log4OM or the "Portable" version
3. Did you install Log4om "As an administrator"

I also would like to know how to enter data from my old logbooks- data that goes back for decades. I'd like to be able to submit those old logs to LoTW and eQSL- I know I have to get them into some data format, and was hoping this program would do that for me. Is there some intermediate step I can use for that, such as an Excel file?
What format are your old logbooks in - Paper, Spreadsheet, word processor or what?

If your logs are on paper then you can copy type directly into Log4om
73 Terry G4POP
K3DC
Novice Class

Post by K3DC »

Thanks for the answer. I have been able to get it set up, but still can't get it to accept my grid locator, EL97 (I assume that's what you meant by a "QRA Locator"). I know this is a Maidenhead number, but since "QRA" isn't used anymore except possibly in Europe, I used what I have on my QSL cards. Be that as it may, I have been able to get the program set up, and have begun entering data from my old paper logs The Locator field is still red, and whenever I look, there's nothing there.

When I was fighting cancer a few years ago, my wife accidentally threw my oldest logs starting in 1974 away- I have logs from 1997 on, and have begun the laborious process of typing them in. at <2 QSOs per minute, it's going to be a lengthy process. Still, I've begun. ;)

I notice the f7 key doesn't show some of the fields, including QTH and comments; I hope the program is saving them, and that I can access them for such things as FISTS awards. How can I see what the data file actually contain, such as my Locator grid number, etc.?

As you can tell from this, I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to this type of program. My biggest problem in getting information is not knowing what questions to ask.

The program seems to be great- the more I find out about it, the better I'm getting to like it.

73, Bill K3DC
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

K3DC wrote:Thanks for the answer. I have been able to get it set up, but still can't get it to accept my grid locator, EL97 (I assume that's what you meant by a "QRA Locator"). I know this is a Maidenhead number, but since "QRA" isn't used anymore except possibly in Europe, I used what I have on my QSL cards. Be that as it may, I have been able to get the program set up, and have begun entering data from my old paper logs The Locator field is still red, and whenever I look, there's nothing there.
Try entering a six digit locator like EL97jp then click the floppy disk save button
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

K3DC wrote:I notice the f7 key doesn't show some of the fields, including QTH and comments; I hope the program is saving them, and that I can access them for such things as FISTS awards. How can I see what the data file actually contain, such as my Locator grid number, etc.?
Use the recent QSO tab and select the fields that you want to be displayed using the "Layout" button at the bottom left hand side
73 Terry G4POP
K3DC
Novice Class

Post by K3DC »

Sorry to be such a PITA, but I'm quite new to the computer side of ham radio. I went to the "Recent QSO" tab, clicked on LAYOUT and added the fields I needed, especially the FISTS field (I hope I chose the right one). They now show up in the display, but since I didn't know about them I'd entered the FISTS numbers in the NOTES column and the QTH in the COMMENT column for the first 200 or so entries.

Is there a way to copy this data from those columns to the correct ones? I've tried to edit the data, but the only choices I have in the upper box are the original fields, and I can't make any changes on the QSO line itself. Specifically, I wanted to copy the Fists numbers into the FISTS field- which didn't exist when I made the entries. The program won't let me do that directly, and the FISTS field does not appear in the upper box. Is there some way I can put the added fields in that upper gray box to make changes? I can't find anything about this in the PDF manual.

Is this possible, or do I need to re-enter all this data? :?

73, Bill K3DC
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Bill,
To edit you need to double click an entry in the Recent QSO window and because of the nature of your error these edits need to be done individually

There are indeed fields for both Fists and QTH that are for use while entering a new QSO or when editing an existing QSO - Please see the screen shots below
Attachments
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled3.jpg (94.35 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (61.57 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
73 Terry G4POP