LoTW problem

EA4CO
Novice Class

LoTW problem

Post by EA4CO »

Hi guys
Since the last updates I experience problems uploading QSOS to LoTW. My configuration until now was correct and I have not changed anything but now when trying to upload the new contacts to LoTW or when closing the application the program freezes. No error appears and within the task manager until I close the TQSL app the Logbook does not get closed. Has anyone had the same thing happen to you? any idea how to solve the problem? My versions are TQSL 2.5.9 with data configuration version 11.19 and LOG4OM version 2.21.1.2 BETA. I have also tried with the stable version but the problem persists.
Thanks in advance
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: LoTW problem

Post by DF5WW »

Moved to the V2 part of the forum.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Try re inserting your lOTW details and paths
73 Terry G4POP
EA4CO
Novice Class

Post by EA4CO »

G4POP wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 22:56 Try re inserting your lOTW details and paths
Thanks Terry for your quick response. I have put all the LoTW configuration parameters back but the problem persists. I attach an image where you can see when the QSO loading process stops

Thanks again

Attachments
No Upload
No Upload
error_log.jpg (135.46 KiB) Viewed 6344 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Set debug mode in the help menu

Try another upload

Check the logfile in the help menu

You should see the responses from LOTW explaining what the issue is
73 Terry G4POP
EA4CO
Novice Class

Post by EA4CO »

G4POP wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 07:40 Set debug mode in the help menu

Try another upload

Check the logfile in the help menu

You should see the responses from LOTW explaining what the issue is
Thanks again Terry
I've checked the log and apparently I don't see any errors. The process stops when it opens tqsl.exe and I have to close it from the task manager and if I want to close LOG4OM
Attachments
LoTW.JPG
LoTW.JPG (124.01 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
M7CRH
Novice Class

Post by M7CRH »

This problem with Log4OM hanging after a TQSL upload is started has been around for some time and seems to affect a significant number of users. I reported it on the 7th December last year and there have been about 6 reports of this since then. There had been a number of reports of this before that.

I went through the same process of checking that TQSL was OK, enabling logging, etc., and it showed nothing.

I got an email from the developer asking if I'd be prepared to try a beta version. I replied saying yes but that was it, nothing more since then. I have uploaded LoTW in other ways, GridTracker will do so with no problems, or export an adif file and use the tqsl application.

Well, there was one change, Log4OM has a timeout followed by a force close so it doesn't need to be closed using the Task manager but the underlying problem wasn't fixed. There also seems to be some minor changes to how tqsl is run, in particular a diagnostic file is generated, but the underlying problem, that Log4OM does not detect that TQSL has finished, remains.

One useful thing is that the tqsl diagnostics gives the command line used, in my case:

Code: Select all

Command Line: C:\Program Files (x86)\TrustedQSL\tqsl.exe -d -t C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\Log4OM2\temp\TQSL_LOG.txt -u -f update -a all -q -x -l Cherryfield C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\Log4OM2\temp\LOTW_UPLOAD_20220429161156.adi
I've copied and pasted that into a CMD window and it runs with no issues, using the same adif file generated by Log4OM.

What I've found, running the QSL manager update, is that the problem only happens if a number of QSL are selected. 8 or less seems to be OK, 9 works sometimes and never with more. The TQSL log file just halts, however running the same adif file with the same command line is fine. I've just posted 148 records.

The snag with uploading out of Log4OM is that the Lotw Sent status is not updated so as far as Log4OM is concerned they haven't been uploaded and next time they need doing again.

It looks as if Log4OM is doing something after a second or so that upsets TQSL, for small number of records TQSL has time to complete, but for larger numbers it doesn't.

This could all be very variable, depending on the computer and the internet connection.

Hope this helps, sorry it's so long.

Chris
G5CTH (formerly M7CRH)
M7CRH
Novice Class

Post by M7CRH »

Disappointing not to get any response over this issue, we've waited over a week from the last message here and the problem has been being reported by a number of people for about a year. Several of us have provided useful information about how to reproduce it but there has been no meaningful response.

I understand the request not to make accusations of no support but I'm sorry to say that is what this looks like.

Several of us have reported that the problem is sensitive to the number of QSOs so that's an obvious line of enquiry. The sort of thing I can see is that TQSL is writing to a log file and perhaps L4OM is also opening that file to read and parse the processed QSLs. There could be conflicts in this, perhaps it works for a small number of QSLs because there is time for TQSL to finish before L4OM gets involved.

Chris
G5CTH (formerly M7CRH)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

M7CRH wrote: 11 May 2022, 07:40 Disappointing not to get any response over this issue, we've waited over a week from the last message here and the problem has been being reported by a number of people for about a year. Several of us have provided useful information about how to reproduce it but there has been no meaningful response.

I understand the request not to make accusations of no support but I'm sorry to say that is what this looks like.

Several of us have reported that the problem is sensitive to the number of QSOs so that's an obvious line of enquiry. The sort of thing I can see is that TQSL is writing to a log file and perhaps L4OM is also opening that file to read and parse the processed QSLs. There could be conflicts in this, perhaps it works for a small number of QSLs because there is time for TQSL to finish before L4OM gets involved.

Chris
G5CTH (formerly M7CRH)
My sincere apologies for being down with COVID followed immediately by a viral infection but I am back now and trying to catch up.

To either of you that have this issue please do as follows

1. Set trace mode in the help menu

2. Simulate the upload issue again

3. Create a support request from the help menu

4. Email it to Lele (AT) pisto.it

Make sure that you include a link to this thread so that we can see the history.

Back to bed now so that I am ready for the nurse
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

We noticed the issue several months ago, when without any change on our side, the application did not respond anymore to Log4OM "polling". Or, better, with few QSO the application closes normally but with 10+ QSO we experience that issue.
I'm still trying to catch what the problem is, but i can do very few tests as there are not "test accounts" on LOTW to be used as test, and i can't pollute my personal one (so i'm doing tests only when i've a couple of QSO to submit...)

I did exactly the same tests you made, including use the same string log4om generates, and that works flawlessy.
What i can't explain is the program is running perfectly for few QSO, but not for many QSO's, but the process is exactly the same and adif file is only few kb bigger.

To deal with, i've set an "interactive mode" flag in LOTW configuration. This will work in "fire and forget mode", and log4om automatically will ALWAYS assume all QSO were correctly uploaded this way and update database accordingly.

I've no solutions at the moment, as i can't get what could be the wrong thing with 10 QSO inside an ADIF file passed as a parameter that is not happening with 5...
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH