Windows 11 Install and Runtime Permissions Questions

WV3E
New user

Windows 11 Install and Runtime Permissions Questions

Post by WV3E »

Greetings,

I'm a new user wanting to try out Log4OM V2. I downloaded, unzipped and installed version 2.24.0.0. I run Windows 11 as an ordinary user, so user account control prompted me to enter the administrator password as is typical, and the installation completed without incident. I closed the installer, then launched the program from the desktop icon on my normal user account. After launch, it hung while loading. I scrolled through the message box and saw errors at the end, so I captured the following screen shot:

Log4OM Screenshot.png
Log4OM Screenshot.png (108.08 KiB) Viewed 223 times

Since the errors involved missing files, I closed out of the program and re-ran it with administrative privileges. Sure enough, it loaded without issue and brought me to the initial configuration setting dialog.

So my questions are... am I doing something wrong, or does Log4OM V2 require administrative permissions at runtime? If the latter, are there any plans to change this? Is there a workaround, can I manually copy files to an alternate location within my user directory where the program can access them without elevated privileges? Running Windows as an ordinary user is best practice, elevating my user profile is something I'm reluctant to do.

Thx & 73,
Eric / WV3E
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Windows 11 Install and Runtime Permissions Questions

Post by G4POP »

Log4OM usually shows those messages they are just progress messages while it loads, its nothing untoward.

I run Win 11 as do thousands of others without issue, however Win 11 is getting very security aware and sometimes restricts access to some folders and files

I run with the UAC at minimum and only need to Rin as an admin is using in conjunction with other software like WSJT sharing CAT control via Omnirig
73 Terry G4POP