Log4OM very slow

F4BPO
Old Man

Re: Log4OM very slow

Post by F4BPO »

Hi Lele,

Definitely when there is a heavy load of spots on the cluster it slows down Log4OM heavily.
So i have to turn off skimmer and ft8 for sure.

But also the CW interface is very very slow, many times when I click on a macro it takes 5 seconds to start sending the code.
I use Winkeyer either with a Micro Keyer III or Nano Keyer but it is the same for both.

I see a lot of checks are done on the cluster spots maybe this slows down a lot things, is there a way to stop all this ? I am not really interested to have all sort of checks on all the spots but only the ones I click on ?!?

Everything is turned off currently, VOACAP, QRZ.com upload, HRD upload, Program Settings/Performance all off.
I only keep clublog upload to keep the live clublog.

I do not really know what to do to speed up Log4OM. Of course maybe a large majority of users do a QSO here and there and do not see what I am seeing.
Running around 100 to 150 QSOs per hour rate it becomes a real problem.

Anything else I could try ? As I am considering to change logbook but I love Log4OM as it has everything I want.

Thanks for your time
73 de XV9Q Greg
K4TOR
Advanced Class

Post by K4TOR »

Have the same issue. Running 2.29. I just cant get the logger to keep up. Cluster is slow to scroll, editing a QSO is very, very slow. The Inet line is a 1G fiber both ways. So, I am kind of getting ready to bail, and try something different.
73 de Tor - K4TOR
Pee Dee of SC
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi all,
cluster contains a really large amount of checks, and sometime those checks are "heavy" as relies on your database for queries (even if most of the activities is made in memory).
I'll try to analyze specific info, can you in the meanwhile run a performance test in Log4OM and send me your results?
It's in the settings menu, one of the top items in the left column
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
K4TOR
Advanced Class

Post by K4TOR »

IW3HMH wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 08:36 Hi all,
cluster contains a really large amount of checks, and sometime those checks are "heavy" as relies on your database for queries (even if most of the activities is made in memory).
I'll try to analyze specific info, can you in the meanwhile run a performance test in Log4OM and send me your results?
It's in the settings menu, one of the top items in the left column
So after much trying back and forth: Disabling VOACAP Prop. helps quite a lot as far as speed and snappiness. However, I rely heavily on VOACAP data, so I guess I'll be using Hamclock a little more. I also see a moment as the cluster is fed a new spot, the cluster screen hesitates a few seconds before you can scroll again.

The test below was performed with the following applications running: LOG4OM, WSJT, JTAlert, TightVNC, Chrome browser, Firefox Thunderbird Email client.

Performance test start on 200 calls...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Worked before on 200 calls
9ms (99941 CPU cycles)
1333333 calls/minute

Sunrise/sunset check...
0ms (2275 CPU cycles)
Performance test COMPLETE
73 de Tor - K4TOR
Pee Dee of SC
F4BPO
Old Man

Post by F4BPO »

Here is mine:

Performance test start on 200 calls...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Worked before on 200 calls
10ms (100615 CPU cycles)
1200000 calls/minute

Sunrise/sunset check...
1ms (11917 CPU cycles)
6000000 calls/minute

I have currently switched to another logbook for the time being until this can be resolved. Log4OM is not usable for me in its current state.
And as I said VOACAP is never ever activated on my side or this becomes a nightmare.
73 de XV9Q Greg
F4BPO
Old Man

Post by F4BPO »

Hi Daniele and all,

Wondering if others still have the issue.
Unfortunately I still have, it is impossible to run a contest, when I need to be fast and Log4OM is freezing 10 seconds on each call it is not workable.

Also the CW window makes Log4OM very very slow it does not matter whether I am connected to Winkeyer or through TCI, for both it is awfully slow.

Between 8 to 15 seconds to edit a contact until the window opens up.

If anyone has been able to make Log4OM faster could you please give me some hints ?

Thanks
73 de XV9Q Greg
F6EXV
Old Man

Post by F6EXV »

Hello
Even though it has provisions for it, L4OM is not a contest logging program
There are several out there, which will export to adif, and you can then import easily into L4OM.
Paul F6EXV
Thanks + 73
Paul F6EXV
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

It is so noted in the U.G. as well.

N1MM+ does an excellent job for the high-rate-flow contests and can immediately feed the Q's into Log4OM via a UDP port.

Or, as noted, a manual export of an ADIF from N1MM+ and import into Log4OM works as well.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
F4BPO
Old Man

Post by F4BPO »

F6EXV wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 12:22 Hello
Even though it has provisions for it, L4OM is not a contest logging program
There are several out there, which will export to adif, and you can then import easily into L4OM.
Paul F6EXV
Hello,

I am not using it for contest !
But from Vietnam you get a LOT of calls and you reach easily 150 QSOs per hour and Log4OM does not keep up...
But it is not a contest though
73 de XV9Q Greg
F4BPO
Old Man

Post by F4BPO »

KI5IO wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 12:37 It is so noted in the U.G. as well.

N1MM+ does an excellent job for the high-rate-flow contests and can immediately feed the Q's into Log4OM via a UDP port.

Or, as noted, a manual export of an ADIF from N1MM+ and import into Log4OM works as well.
Sometimes I do as I have no choice but after importing into Log4OM it requires a lot of manual work:

- Update some specific information (maybe my N1MM was not properly setup but did not have the grid as well as Owner callsign coming empty)
- Also have to update all awards afterwards (like DDFM for French department one by one and it takes 5/7 seconds to have the edit windows to open) so it can take a very long time.

Finally I am not a huge fan using multiple logbook programs and I have never seen such behavior with HRD or N1MM or Win-Test or Cloudlog.

But I like everything Log4OM does so it is just a matter of trying to optimize it, definitely when I see a slowdown I qrx, reset map cache, close, re-open and I am good to go for another 20/30 minutes until it slows down again.
73 de XV9Q Greg