Moving from a Win10 to Win11 machine - how to copy?

ac5aa
Old Man

Moving from a Win10 to Win11 machine - how to copy?

Post by ac5aa »

I've found Terry's 2016 details on how to copy one's installation from one PC to another, however in WIndows 11 the path in the C:\users\...... directory does not exist. Is there an easy workaround, or do I need to completely reconfigure on the new machine (I surely hope not!) The database is no problem, but the other settings are what I'm trying to figure out.

73, Duane
73, Duane AC5AA
va3vf
Advanced Class

Re: Moving from a Win10 to Win11 machine - how to copy?

Post by va3vf »

Sounds like you did not use the portable package to install Log4OM initially. The beauty of the portable package is that you can just copy and paste Log4OM to a new location problem free.

If no sure solution for this task is forthcoming try the following:

1) Copy the entire folder where Log4OM is installed on the Win 10 PC to a USB drive;
2) Paste it on the Win 11 PC;
3) Download the portable version from the Log4OM site. Make sure to get the same version;
4) Unzip the portable version in the same Log4OM folder on the Win 11 PC.
5) Run Log4OM to see if it not only works, but more importantly, that it's using all the same settings as the installation on the Win 10 PC.

I do this often but never with a portable and an executable installation package, only portable to portable, when upgrading to a new version. That said, there is nothing to lose, give it a try.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ac5aa wrote: 27 Dec 2022, 03:18 I've found Terry's 2016 details on how to copy one's installation from one PC to another, however in WIndows 11 the path in the C:\users\...... directory does not exist. Is there an easy workaround, or do I need to completely reconfigure on the new machine (I surely hope not!) The database is no problem, but the other settings are what I'm trying to figure out.

73, Duane
You have windows set to hide user files and folders - View/show hidden items
73 Terry G4POP
va3vf
Advanced Class

Post by va3vf »

G4POP wrote: 27 Dec 2022, 07:16 You have windows set to hide user files and folders - View/show hidden items
I bet that is it. I found myself in that situation in the past.
ac5aa
Old Man

Post by ac5aa »

[/quote]
You have windows set to hide user files and folders - View/show hidden items
[/quote]

Thanks, Terry - you nailed it. I usually turn hidden files/folders off right away on a new PC, but hadn't gotten that far yet on this one. Done. Thanks. Now to decide whether to reinstall 2.18 or earlier to avoid the Omnirig/control issues I was having prior to the move. It's always something somewhere!

73, Duane
73, Duane AC5AA